1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hide away install cost?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mulcahy mowing, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I'm looking into putting a whelen 4 head hide away system into my f 350. i have a few questions

What should i pay for the install?
    if im going to do this i want the 90w system go big or go home right?
    i just dont want to blind any of the other guys i plow with when we work together if i forget to shut them off how bright will this system be?

any advise in general?

2. beaver2

beaver2 Member

I don't know about the install becuase I did it myself, but.....

90 watts is a good size. Thats what I have. It is limited to 25 watts per bulb I belive. Most kits have a low power mode for night. It won't be blinding, it will be very noticeable.

3. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

I do $500 in my area, parts and labor, and I seem to be on par with others doing it as well. Also you're right about 90W, go big or go home. But for the sake of others at night, hook up the low power wire.

4. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

yes 90 watt i get 150 for installs and a guy a couple towns over gets 200

5. BlueLine Ent

I assume thats just labor?

6. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

I had BlueLine Enterprises do my hideways he did them for $500 He does great work.

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

200 for the labor from ultra strobe in crystal lake. Rob and his crew does quality installs. 90 for sure. You can use low power at night. 90 watt comes in handy during the day time.

8. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

thats everything except the strobe kit it self

9. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

that sounds great to me! i'm not to far from you here in mass, will be in touch when i'm ready to have them put in!

thanks for all the help guys!

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Mulcahy, us Mass boys dont cheap out......Forget the Whelen Hideaway kit.....let BlueLine install you the Whelen LED Hideaways.......Much better investment, and cheaper I believe becuase you dont need a power supply.....

11. BlueLine Ent

haha not even close. To do 6 Whelen LED hideaways, it would be more than 600 just for parts...:dizzy:

12. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

4 head kit cost 400 alone

13. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Just let blueline do the strobes nothing wrong with them I have to go see him, one of mine are out..

14. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

I had my buddy put 4 tir 3 in all LEDS, I like them better than the hideaways.

15. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

If you've had any experience with simple witing you shoul be able to do it yourself. I've done similar stuff before and it wasn''t to difficult. A buddy of mine wired his by hookin right up to and unused fuse. He just matched up the pos and neg to an unused 20 and plugged it in. I dont know if this is reallly the recomended way of doing things but it worked.

16. BlueLine Ent

Doing the install seems pretty simple and relativly it is, but its the particular details and the way you do it that makes the difference wether it works when you need them or not.

17. KelleyZP

KelleyZP Member

My whelan 4 head 90 watt unit was like 400 and another 300 for install- but everything costs an arm and leg in jersey so idk-