1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide-Away help

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Yooper75, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Ok guys I need some help, my Whelen Hide-Away power pack puked this weekend and I have had it repaired once under warranty and the pack is now out of warranty so I am thinking about using this opportunity to upgrade to newer technology. What I need help with is do I go back to strobes or do I upgrade to LED as long as I am buying new equipment? I like the LED because they won't mess with my CB and they don't need a power pack like the strobes do. But from what I have seen and read about the LED's they don't have nearly as much visual punch in bright sunlight like a strobe does. I also like the fact that I can run the LED's with out having to run my truck and I am also contemplating switching my Whelen Edge strobe mini bar to LED as well or building an Edge LED mini light bar. Thank's in advance.

Dave

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you use the ground wire for thats in the strobe cables and ground each end of them they wont mess with your strobes. I think if you are changing out lightbars it'd be easiest to just buy a new one. It'd be more money building one than buying one. The leds are nice I am putting a set of sound off universals in my tail lights this fall. They seem real bright in the daylight as our local manicipality uses them on all their bpw pick ups.

3. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I have a brand new Sound Off replacement 6/90 power supply for you if you need it for $100. I also have LED hideaways on hand if you want to upgrade. Let me know if I can help.

4. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I have to run new wires to back of the truck for my tail light strobes so I am just going to replace everything with Whelen Vertex Hide-Aways. I can run the Vertex Hide-Away's with the truck off for long periods of time and there is no power supply to wire and mount and I can mount them just about anywhere and not worry about the blowing a strobe tube.