1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide-a-Ways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Andrewe, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Andrewe

Andrewe Junior Member

Quick question for you guys with Welen 60 or 90 watt systems. During dayllight can you still see them and at night with your lights on can you still see them. I'm planing on putting them in the four corners. I bought some cheap ones from the autoparts store and during the day you can't really see them(put in taillight) and at night with the taillights on you can't really see them either. I've done hours of searching on theis subject and haven't seen anything about this.

Thanks for your help.

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im running a 90 watt 6 head setup. Yes you can see them in the daytime and night with the lights on. Just take a look at the police or local FD. The ones you buy in the auto store are for the ricers.

3. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Do a search on the net and you will find places that sell them. I bought ECCO products from a friend. Four head 60 watt for the back, rev. lights and courtesy lights by third brake light and a two head 30 watt for the front turn sigs. All amber "pop-in" bulbs. It has a sealed controller that can be mounted any place and weather proof connectors. Other companies make good products, Whalen, Able, Fed Signal and more but the controllers and standard connectors are not weather proof. Controllers must then be mounted in the cab. Other bulbs have two screws to hold them in. And you have to upgrade the connectors if you like. There are more threads here about this...try to search for it here too.

4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I just put the whelen 60 watt in my new truck. High power during the day and low power at night. And if you want to p*ss off sleeping people use high power at night. lol. 60 watt is plenty. The work great all the time. Purchased all my stuff from sirennet.com, great site, great prices, great customer service.

Ken - New Look Landscaping

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

6. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I have the whelen csp 690 which is the 6 outlet 90 watt kit. They are bright at all times of the day. I would recommend putting amber tubes up front though. The clear are bright and during the snow can effect your eyes at night. I've had both clear and amber up front and will only use amber from now on.

7. Andrewe

Andrewe Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks guys didn't want to spend all that money for them not to work that well. The best price I've found is on ishlights.com $190 for the 690
    One more question I have a supercab 8ft bed what size cord will i need to get back the the taillights.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  8. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

9. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Um ya dude the ones at the auto stores are for hondas:p and are proboly around 5 wats lol.

10. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

Whelen 150w 8 heads

Pretty bright

11. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Depends the spot you find to put the controller. Under the back seat and going out the back 15' should work. But you may want to get 15' to the front and 25' for the back just to make sure. Just be carefull on bulb location as not to melt the lense and you will be fine. Get the switch to go with that pack as well. You may want to shut off the front lights when its snowing because of the light reflection off the flakes.

12. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

Ricers, lol..... prolly found 'em right next to the led washer nozzles and flashing valvestem caps.
    Maybe the under-chassis neon setup would be more visable. :redbounce