1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide-a-ways won't work

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by JeffNY, Feb 20, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

They stopped working last time I plowed, so the other day when it was sunny, I pulled the tails out, one wire was wore down bare in a spot, and the plug melted.
    I put a new plug on it, and taped everything up.
    Checked the fuse by the battery, and the one build into the control box, both good.

Flip it on....nothing.

I unplugged all 4 lights and tried powering it up doing one light at a time... nothing.

I have 14v coming from the plug for the battery, I have 14v at the plug going to the switches, but I have no power coming out of the plugs for the lights.

So now what do I check?
  2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Use the search feature to search previous threads, theres a million in here about people's strobes not working because of moisture in the connections, and more importantly, how to fix them.
  3. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

oh yeah, I've checked all the outside plugs, they were all clean, but I added dielecric to them anyways.
    Thats why I figured moisture wasn't an issue any longer
  4. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

that dosent sound to good if the plug melted
  5. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Called Whelen, they were about as helpful Dell tech support in India.
  6. BlueLine Ent

Did you blow out the connections and seal the backs with silicone as well? Did you replace the cable that wore through or just tape it? Are all your wires in the correct order (Red, Black, While 1-3)? Also after re-reading your post, did you check your ground for the power supply?
  7. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I put a new connector on the bad wires, and the insides of all the plugs were clean, I just added sillycone. But that still doesn't answer why the fronts wont work either.
    Its grounded at the battery, im getting full power to the power supply. Its just not putting it OUT.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Fried/shorted out power supply??
  9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

better not have, hopefully thats what the fuse is for
  10. BlueLine Ent

Try hooking up two strobes other than the ones installed by pluggin them into the outlets and see if they work. If not, take your box out, ship it to Whelen's repair dept, and await your new or repaired unit in about 2 weeks.
  11. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I would, except I don't have 2 spare strobes sitting around. Guess I'll just send it in.

OSLIGHTS Member
    from Florida

Take one of your bulbs out first, and plug it directly into the box. Go down the line and see if it will work in all of the plugs. If so, check your cables from the power supply to the bulbs. If it didn't work, send the box back. Whelen is great about replacing them. I am surprised tech support wasn't helpful, usually they are great!