1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hide-a-ways in roof lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by grec-o-face, Jul 7, 2009.

1. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Has anyone visited this idea before??

I'm getting ready to strobe my truck and was thinking about putting some hide-a-ways in the cab-lights. At first look, it seems like there just isn't enough room.... Anyone have any input on this??

Thanks All

2. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Not enough room.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I have a cheaper set of 4 corner strobes if you want to try it. I think it's a cool idea if it would work. $100 takes everything...........box with adj flash pattern, bulbs and harnesses. New.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You will melt them.

5. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

You could possibly do it by taking out the regular bulbs and placing the strobe tubes in the housing. But im going to have to agree with flipper, that even if you could get it to fit into the housing you will end up melting the plastic.

6. grec-o-face

I think it's worth a closer look at least. I'll let you guys know if I burn my truck down.:confused:

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

8. grec-o-face

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Let me restate. I have done it for more then one person on both Fords and GMs and they have melted the lenses.

Now maybe with LEDs as they run cooler.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Trust me, the set I'm selling won't be melting anything anytime soon. That's what I was referring to, not strobes in general ;)

12. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Why not just use LED's? Strobes burn out.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've ran strobes for 8 years on several trucks and have replaced maybe 2-3 bulbs. If you're burning out bulbs often something is wrong.

14. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Never said I was burning out bulbs often. In fact mine have never burnt out, because they're LED's.
    The fact still remains that sooner or later strobes burn out.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Gotcha.................but typically a box will have issues before a bulb will, and even that's not common. LED's burn out too. Nothing is indefinate.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

As for answering the OP, consider a set of Wig Wags, it would be the answer to all of this nonsense ;)

17. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

We have done both strobes and led in cab lights. There are differnt type of strobe tubes some of them are very close to the lens and this will melt them. But leds will only go in the direction the are facing.

18. carver60

carver60 Senior Member

leds dont creat heat so get leds and you will be good. whelen vertexs will fit in there perfectly. check sirennet.com or strobesnmore.com out

19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

leds are not directional.......vertex will light up that roof light great facing upwards.

20. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

before i get flamed...yes they are directional....but they will work fine pointing off axis if they are quality