1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide A Ways in lightbar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Mark13, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Random though today while looking at my lightbar. Would it be possible to put 2 strobe heads from a hide a way system in the lightbar? I was thinking put them in the bottom so the tubes face up.

It might be a dumb idea that would never work or look good but it sounded like a good idea.

I was thinking something like this (where the dots are):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

yes it would i had done that for some one with a 36" mx7000 i put a whelen 20 watt hid-a-way strobe kit i between thr rotators (RsRIRsR)

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was thinking that I'd tie it in with the ones I want to put in my front and rear lights, so a 6 head 90w system.

4. Fiafighterdude

from ME

that would work to

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Did the system you setup look pretty good?

I'd probably have them on a seperate switch so if the rotators were going I could control if they were on or off. Or just use them and not the rotators sometimes.

6. Fiafighterdude

from ME

yeah i wish i could have kept the bar it came out nice and that would be a goo idea to do the seperet switching

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd like to do my front/rear/and bar all on seperate switches. So my truck doesn't look like an amber/white christmas tree all the time.

8. Fiafighterdude

from ME

yeah i have a 3 postion slide switch for my truck and 3 other switches and one momentary switch all on a code 3 mastercom siren

9. Fiafighterdude

from ME

i dont like the white strobes when plowing it messes with your eyes more than amber dose and if you put hid a way in the fog lights wont they shine off the plow

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have fog lights so I was thinking my highbeams. That's why I wanted them on a switch, So I can control what strobes are going to reduce the "annoyance" of the reflections. My taillights will probably get used the most out of them all. And I don't really want all amber since they will also be used for the fire department along with plowing.

11. Fiafighterdude

from ME

ohhh i seeeee

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

A friend of mine did it and said it worked fine. Just make sure you seal the outside properly. Also make sure the bar can handle the extra heat.....You dont want to ruin your bar.....

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I never thought about the heat. It shouldn't be to big of a deal. Its got a pretty good sized lense over the lights so lots of surface area to disapate heat.

14. Fiafighterdude

from ME

i was told to keep the bulbs atlest 2-3" away from a lense

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I wasn't going to put them right next to the lense, I was thinking in the middle pretty close to the diamond shaped mirror so they reflect off and out the sides/backwards nice.

16. Fiafighterdude

from ME

sounds good