1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hide-a-Way Strobe light install in 2005 Chevy 2500HD (pics)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Playboy, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I made this up in word but I can't post it because the file is close to 4MB so i will post it here in pieces. If any one wants the word .doc give me your email.

Hide a Way Strobe Light Install.
    2005 Chevy 2500 HD

To start, don’t attempt to do your install at night outside like I did. It is best to do this install on a nice Saturday morning.

The first thing you want to do is pick your location for the power supply. I picked a very typical spot. Under the back seat.

100_1352 (Small).JPG

2. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Once you have you location set it is time to lay out the cables. In my case I had 4. Since I put the power supply on the left side I used the longer cables for the right side. You will need to look at the ends of the cables to make sure you have the cable by the correct end. Being that I started at night I didn’t pay close attention and since I’m not one to read directions first,……… I ran one of the cables all nice and neat and found out I ran it the wrong way and had to redo it. One end is female and one end is male.

Now that you have your power supply and cables mapped out you can drill your hole near your power supply. The carpet pulls out easily. Make sure there is nothing in your way under the truck before you dill. Use a metal drill bit and drill slowly. (speed/heat will burn up the bit) I use a touch of oil when drilling metal to keep the drill bit cool. I drilled a small pilot hole then drilled from the bottom up.

100_1353 (Small).JPG

100_1354 (Small).JPG

3. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Here is what it looks like from the top.

100_1356 (Small).JPG

4. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

The red wire seen is to power the power supply. It is also seen in the first pic. Before I go further I want to say I did not mount the power supply directly to the truck. I cut a ¼ “ piece of wood out and mounted the power supply to it. At this time you can do that just don’t mount it to the truck yet because you’ll need to run wires/cables under the carpet.

You can now start to run the cables to their location. Use a lot of zip ties to keep them in place. The front was a bit more time consuming then the rear cables.

Now it’s time to install the strobes. I used a 1” drill bit. The kind you use for wood. (Bad move) The lights fit perfect but I made a mess on the front lights. Plastic shavings got into the lens and static made it stick pretty good. I had to bring the front lenses inside and rinse them out. I first used warm water but they got pretty foggy so I then rinsed them out again with cold water. At that point I called it a night because I needed to let them air dry.

100_1372 (Small).JPG

100_1373 (Small).JPG

5. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Now that the cables are run you need to bring them over to the power supply.
    I drilled a hole for the power supply ground and scraped off the paint from both sides. You need to have this down to bare metal.

100_1390 (Small).JPG

6. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Power is supplied from the factory installed marker lamp wiring. I don’t have the marker lamps but the truck was pre-wired for them. I pulled the wire down from the roof liner and ran in down the A-pillar near the fuse block. I installed an in-line fuse holder to that wire then ran the other end to the power supply. That was the red wire you saw in the first pic. At this point you’re almost ready to screw the power supply down. There is one step left before being able to bolt it down. You need to run the wires to the 3 switches… I used the empty location near the roof marker lamp switch to mount all 3 of the switches.

100_1392 (Small).JPG

7. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I removed a switch from the holder they came with (it wasn’t easy) and used a circular saw (rotozip) to cut the rectangle out. I used a razor blade to trace out the size first. I made sure it fit before continuing onto the other two. I remove the other two switches from the stock holder and placed it onto my new location. I used the old holder as a template.

100_1393 (Small).JPG

100_1398 (Small).JPG

8. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Install the wiring to one side of the switches as they where and run the wiring for the switches from the power supply to your location of install. I really hate when people don’t use that blank plate and install the switches in other place. I wonder what Chevy intended to put there. My truck is an LS so many the high end model has something there..??

100_1402 (Small).JPG

100_1404 (Small).JPG

9. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Now that all cable are run and zip tied down secure you can screw down that power supply.

100_1409 (Small).JPG

10. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Now plug in your strobe lights and put the fuse in. Turn the truck on and fire up the lights!

100_1408 (Small).JPG

100_1407 (Small).JPG

11. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

That turned out very good. One thing you could do with the Chevy2001 through today. Take out the daytime running light, Strobe bulb pops right in. My buddy did this, no extra holes in your housings. Good job on the detailed picks.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  12. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Thanks.
    I like the day time lights. It helps when it's raining out.

13. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

that seems like a tiny strobe pack, i guess its just me because i have a 8 pack

14. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

By pack do you mean how many strobes can be hooked into it? If so this is for 6 strobes but it came with 4 so that's all I installed. I'm thinking of putting two more strobes near the 3rd brake light behind the white lenses. I'll put amber bulbs there.

15. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Here are the cheap Walmart back up lights I installed just before doing the strobes (at night)

100_1357 (Small).JPG

100_1360 (Small).JPG

16. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

i mean the actual dimensions of it, it just seems really small

17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a big fan of corner strobes like that, and I'm thankful you put in so many good directions & photos! Question for people.... I also have that factory "beacon lamp" button (below playboy's 3 rockers) and wondered if people used this (and how easily accessed the other end of wiring is). Does wiring come up to the 3rd brake light over the cab? Lots of questions that are probably in my manual, but I thought it was worth a quick posting here. Thanks!!

~Kevin

18. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

The wire for the 3rd brake light comes up one of your b or c pillar. Which pillar depends on if you have an extended or creww cab. Its the last pillar so what ever that is on your truck. I installed the strobes there in my ranger looks realy good. Mine where also amber. Technicaly its illegal to have clear to the rear. I have never heard of someone getting hastled for it though.

19. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

great detailed instructions!!....i think this should be stickied as it is such good information! OR moved to a new HOW-TO forum section or something! nice pics and descriptions!

20. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Thanks! My word doc has more pics in it.
    Here's a pic of what the dash looks like now with my new radio.

100_1421 (Small).JPG