1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hidden Strobe Install

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by DCS MN, Jan 23, 2009.

1. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

When installing strobes in the head or tail lights, is the placement that makes them reflect better or worse? (side, top, bottom)
    Any other key tips?

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Only tip I can give is make sure it clears the light bulb that exists. In my 98 and 08 chevys they are in the turn signal in front and in the taillights in the rear.

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

place on the inside of the light bulb on the side
    you want it inline with the lightbulb facing to the outside of the truck (theyre called corner strobes becasue they light up the corner)

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

ok, I'll bite since I'm contemplating some myself- I thought the proper name is Hide-A-Way strobes and that they got the term "corner strobes" because that's where most vehicles have them mounted- at the corners.

Does mounting them on the inside in line with the bulb really make a better pattern?
    Thinking about that for a second I come up with this:
    The reflector in a headlight, for example, is designed to provide light in a certain pattern with respect to the bulb being the exact bulb it is and the filaments being in the exact location they are. Adding something to the reflector is going to decrease normal light output a little- probably so minor not even to notice. The effect I think is more what gets attention than the light intensity - hence Wig Wags for headlights.
    Tail lights are generally designed to reflect 95% of the bulbs light rearward, not sideways- I would suspect Colligans position would be the best in that case, since that would put it closest to the apex of the reflector - putting it in the bottom of that type of reflector would reduce strobe output since very little light would strike the reflector at the optimum points.

I wonder about back up lights and directionals tho, since there is generally much less reflector in those.