1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hidden problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by C&J Snow Plowin, Dec 19, 2004.

1. C&J Snow Plowin

C&J Snow Plowin Junior Member

Hey all, We did a new job today and had a lot of fun the very first pass we found a small retaining wall hidden in the snow drift and dropped the front left steer tire over it and of course it was just high enough the axle rested on it with the tire just inches off the ground . luckly for me the ground sloped up and so another contracter gave me a push forward far enough because the last 6 feet of the 6x6 was able to be pulled out without further damage to the wall and then we could back the truck back over it thanks to the 7inch lift on the truck and just enough slope to the ground we only had to remove the one piece and the replace it. If all these thing didnt come together like this it could have been much harder to get this taken care of. Take ur time with a new account with a lot of drifting and after a big snow fall.

2. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Did you review the lot before the season?

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Sounds like he picked it up after it had already been plowed some. I try to walk the perimeter with a shovel on stuff like that to look for potential problems by poking it in the snow every couple feet. Takes 10 or 15 minutes sometimes but can save a lot of headache.

4. C&J Snow Plowin

C&J Snow Plowin Junior Member

We just got the call this morning to come and plow after the big snows lastnight so this was a new job multi resident lot so live and learn I guess take your time and look around I guess.

5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

When i take on a job in the middle of the season then I pull my boots on and walk the drive. Its not as good as seeing it without any snow but its better then finding any surprises under the snow...Rob

6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hey, at least you are getting snow!!