1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hidden Costs

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Grn Mtn, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

How many things can you guys come up with that you didn't anticipate, or anticipate enough for?

Mine would be taking the truck to the car wash bay and spending $5.00 every time I use the salter. Also with the salter and its contents on this year my gas mileage is really in the toilet, now I get 6mpg- that's $60 for every 180 miles, on a 34 gal tank. I have a 75mile route, 6 hour round trip, depending on time of day and amount of snow.

2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

I did not anticipate haveing more than 10 or 11 2" or greater snow events this year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Kevin

3. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

keep hoping

I'll second that one...I too was counting on only 10 snow events...lets hope we don't have to work too much harder here.

Yes, coins at the carwash wasn't expected....I know its only pocket change, but I wouldn't mind it so bad if the machine would give me a receipt!

Didn't expect to buy my customer a new garage door.

Didn't expect a F350 Crew Cab w/V-10 to get 5 mpg. Was hoping for 7.

Buying more salt than anticipated....but that's okay because I charge for it!

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Salters make hugh money so I wouldn't worry about the five bucks.

Extras: new engine for salter, driver overloaded salter and broke 3 springs and 2 U bolts, driver drove along side some ice and slashed tire, new warning light and asprin for all the extras.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Green Mountain

What did you pay for your Cooper tires ? I run the same truck and I was thinkin of getting dedicated treads for snow season.
    Thanks Todd

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

$172 per but if yours has 16" you can get them for even less, I also opted for the 10 ply, they had 6 ply too.

I plow a parking lot with a steep hill on part of it, I can push up the hill in 4-hi just creeping along the sidewalk an not slip once. The tires are awesome.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

<i>" I also opted for the 10 ply"</i>

Hopefully all here running a plow have tires with load range E at min.

Safty 1st.