1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID vs Halogen "Silver Star Ultra" Headlights

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I know this subject has been brought up before, but as far as I know, no one has posted any pictures of side by side comparisons with identical headlight systems. So, tonight, I took both my trucks out to the highway, and parked them side x side to do just that,... take pictures of an HID headlight conversion system, vs the "Silver Star Ultra" halogen headlights (supposedly the brightest halogen you can buy). Again, I currently have a 1990 Chevy 3500 dumpbed dually, and a 1992 Chevy 3500 SRW, and both trucks have the quad-headlight system,... I also have both trucks rigged up so on Hi beam, both Hi & Lo are on,... exactly the same. I have always been running the Silverstars in both trucks, until earlier this winter, when I converted the '92 to HID with 6000k color. (6000k is supposed to be the closest to true sunlight, which is about 5800k). As others have said before,... the difference is dramatic,... and I was worried that pictures wouldn't really show the true light as seen by your eye, but I have to say, that these pics are pretty darn close to how it actually is. I parked one truck in each lane of the highway, and set up a step ladder between them, so I could get up a little higher and show how much light was really on the pavement. (For all you kids out there, DO NOT try this at home,... :D:D)
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

ooooops,..hit the wrong button,...

OK, first picture is taken from the ladder between the trucks, with the HID headlights on the left, and the Silverstars on the right,... the HID just blows the halogens right off the road! With just the halogens on, the sign down the highway wouldn't even show up on the camera,...but the HID's make it look like it's an illuminated sign,.... the Silverstars never looked "yellow",... until they're sitting next to the HID's,.... the HID's lit up the ditch on the right side a lot better than the SS's did, even tho the SS's were closer,.... :dizzy:

Hi beams (Small).JPG
  3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Wow! That is a huge contrast. Thanks for the pic
  4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Then, this is what you'd see if you met both trucks coming at you with Hi beams left on. Again, the HID's just blow the halogens away,... definitely don't want to forget to dim your lights,.... :nono:

Hi beams II (Small).JPG
  5. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Man that is absolutely crazy!
  6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

This is what the comparison looks like on Lo beams,.... again,... not even close,... you almost can't tell that the halogens are even on,..... :dizzy:

Lo beams (Small).JPG
  7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And finally, this is what both trucks look like if you met them on Lo beams,.... now for sure the HID's are whiter, but they really aren't "blindingly brighter" than the halogens. In the almost 3 months that I used the HID's now, I haven't had one person yet flash their HI beams at me,... and if I saw these 2 vehicles coming at me, I would know that they are both on Lo beam. So, I think the other truck is going to get a new "Light makeover" as well.... and I think I'm going to convert my Boss plow over to HID's myself,... for a ton less money than the dealer wants,... "see" ya down the road,... :salute::waving:

Lo beams II (Small).JPG
  8. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Wow! The difference is night and day.:D How do you manage to drive both trucks at the same time?:rolleyes:
  9. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

Hey Alaska Boss. What type of HIDs do you have in you truck? Are they the type where the bulb moves for the high beam or is it a true Bi xenon kit with two ballasts per light. I am looking at buying a set but cant decide what to buy.
  10. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thats pretty awesome, another great post by the Boss. Thanks for taking the time to do that, obviously not much traffic there. :D

What are the specifics on the HID lights you are using, brand etc...?
  11. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Well, since these Chevy's have the quadheadlights, I got the 9005 (Hi) and 9006 (lo) beam kits,... and even tho I had to get 2 kits (each kit comes with 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts, etc), I now have 4 HID bulbs shining out! But if you have the type of bulb in your headlight where you have 2 filaments in one bulb, (such as 9003, 9004, 9007, etc), then you need to get the "bixenon" kits, like you mentioned, to retain both hi & lo beam. My car has the magnetic-switch type bixenon bulb that moves in & out for hi & lo. (9003 or H4). Hi beam isn't any brighter with those than lo beam, but lo beam is just partly covered, so the light doesn't shine up. But it's still better than any halogens. The only drawback to my setup here, is that when I turn off the hi beams, when meeting a car, then click them back on, it takes a few seconds for them to get back up to "full burn",... the bixenon kits won't do that, since you're not actually turning anything off or on.

Ha ha, yeah, not much traffic when it's this cold,... it can be 6-8 hours between cars, or more at times. But still,... parking 2 trucks side by side on a major highway (the only highway), plugging off both lanes, with a 6' step ladder sitting right on the dotted line, while some dude is running back & forth on the road taking pictures of his headlights when it's -46° below zero,... that might be enough for someone to make a call to the folks that drive the paddy wagon,... :D:D

In any case, these lights are the 55w 6000k color HID's, made in Germany, (suppose to be better made w/closer tolerances than Japanese or USA made, or so I was told). Get the 55w, rather than the 35w (which what most of the cheapo kits on ebay are), since they put out 30-40% more light than the 35w, for not much more money. Also, I was told that the 5000k & the 6000k colors actually put out the most lumens of light, so if you want to get a pink/purple/blue/green tint to your lights, you will sacrifice some output for the color. 5000k has a slight yellow tint from sunlight, and 6000k has a slight blue tint from sunlight. The ones I got are "Digital HID", made in Germany, with very low ignition voltage (7.5v-32v range), instant hot re-strike protection (increase & protect bulb life in frequent on/off use), fully digital controlled, waterproof & vibrationproof, with reversible polarity protection,... works on positive or negative electrical systems. They also come with a life-time warranty,... and every kit that I have seen is just plug & play,... no wire cutting or splicing, etc. (plus they came in a nice metal case). Hope that helps :salute:

HID (Small).JPG
  12. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

WOW.... im super impressed. If you are a saleman for the HIDs ..... You just sold another set to me. Usually around here there aint much to look at when you are driving but when there is something to look at...... Id like to have a good look at it before i run it over...... lol
  13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I thought about that as I was writing this up,... "I wonder if people are going to think that I'm trying to sell these things,...". Because, to set the record straight,.. I'm not. It doesn't make one hoot difference to me one way or another if anyone gets HID's for their trucks or not,.... this is just for information & entertainment. :D But, I'm like you,... having lights like this could could actually save a life here,.. if it keeps you from slamming into a moose that you never saw until it was too late,... :salute:
  14. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same kit on my truck.

how much did you pay for them?
  15. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I did the conversion to my Ford about a year ago and love it. I then did it to my friends Hummer and another friends Mazda3, which comes factory with projectors, and let me tell you when you fit a HID into a projector housing, it creates a perfect beam pattern. His look and preform 10x better then mine and they are the same kit. I wish there was a decent aftermarket projector setup for my truck so I can do that.

I get a few people flashing me every now and then. But part of that has to do with the fact that I have 1000lbs of salt in the truck right now Im guessing, I should turn them down.

All and all, for as much night driving as I do, I could never go back to a truck without them.

Alaska Boss, let us know how the boss conversion turns out, I'd like to do that myself when I have the chance.
  16. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

AMAZING!!! I've "noticed" the brighter lights on the newer cars but never took the time to look into it for my '04 Sierra. We don't have any moose in my area but the deer are surely everywhere. Did you get them from a parts retailer or direct from a website?
  17. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

There certainly is a huge difference from the drivers' perspective.

Just a personal standpoint, I hate driving towards cars and trucks with those style lights because they're so bright.

Thanks for the comparison, Alaska Boss.
  18. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

whats a set of the silver stars run
  19. sjosephlawncare

sjosephlawncare Senior Member

Is there a website? how much do they cost?
  20. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

I also would like to find out where I can get these and a cost.