1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID Smartlight beam question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cjasonbr, Dec 21, 2006.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I got a set of HID smartlights put on when i purchased my plow last fall. The beam is pretty bright, but i can't help but notice a crescent shape in the middle of each beam. Does this happen with anyone else with the HID smartlights? Thanks! - Jason

Also: i know i've asked this before and its been discussed - but has anyone come up with a new solution to keep the lights from shifting around? Aside from jamming something under them...

Edit:
    Are you guys' lights as bright as the ones in these pictures? Mine sure don't seem that bright.. hmm maybe i just aim them too low... anyone?
    http://www.bossplow.com//smartlight.html

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Can I ask what this option cost you ??

3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Sure, the dealer said $500 with the plow $1,000 to add after purchasing the plow. Take these figures approximately, it's been over a year.....

Anyone out there have the HID's??

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the info, I have them in my truck now, in the truck headlights that is, they work great, I paid 300.00 for them, very easy to intall.

I am going to put them in my plow, I pulled the bulbs out last week to see the model number, only question I have now is where to mount the ballast. There isn't enough room in the light it self, so have they mounted anything extra in your truck ??

If they did any pic's would be great.

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

no dice there eyesell. I don't have a digital camera.... I'll take a look under the hood though see if there's anything extra in there.

6. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

The HID option is great but remember guys that vibration can cause a lot of problems and the bulbs cost upwards of $250.00. So before you get the option think about this.... just get a higher watt bulb for the plow lights. They increase visibility just as well. Just go tou your local parts store and tell them what you want to do.

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Can I ask where you got HID's for $300? Do they use the existing housings? Are they Phillips balasts?
    Thanks

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

lol, yeah, thats more like it, I would only use Phillips though. I have them on my car, LOVE em. If you drive at night alot, they're worth the $500.