1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID question ....

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Pinzgauer, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I am thinking about adding HID off roads for better light while plowing. While researching, pretty much all HID lights have a similar note like this: " .....if power to the lamp is lost or turned off, the arc tube must cool before the arc can be restruck and light produced".

How long do they have to cool down? I mean, while plowing it could be that I have to turn them on and off a lot.

Thanks .........
  2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

BS........mine go on and off all the time...

they mean no police wig-wag stuff....
  3. APLC

APLC Senior Member

yeah that's BS on mine once there hot there hot and i turn mine off then turn then back on often, but i was told not to repeatedly turn them of and on or the breaker will trip then you have to wait but never happen yet good luck I went with 10000K. Also i went with a relay kit but I bet my buddy Dissociative:nod: could help you with instructions on making one.
  4. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i've got a set on my daily driver excursion. they are tied to my highbeams thus they get turned off/on with/without oncoming traffic. 5 1/2 months so far and no issues so i'd say it'll be fine.

also been running them in headlights for years now and never had a bulb/ballet blow due to flashing.
  5. ibew697

ibew697 Junior Member

About the same as the other replies...have had them in my sierra low beams and fogs and never had a problem with them. Last night i ordered a set of lamps and slim ballasts to mount in my boss plow. Prolly work on that next weekend....good luck, Jake