1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID Plow lights

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Scott Watson, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Scott Watson

Scott Watson Junior Member

Any one ever put HID's in plow lights? I have them in my truck and love them, thought about adding them to plow lights. I have a western MVP 9.5 V plow.

2. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Yes, do it. Have them in my xls and my old xblade. Just ordered another set for my new xblade along with white led turn signals.

3. Scott Watson

Scott Watson Junior Member

Is there room in the light housing for the light and ballist?

4. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

Which brand did you put in your plow lights durafish? Link to purchase?

5. durafish

from 02919

Yes. Mine come with a bracket and I use screws that already in the lights to mount the ballast. Keeps them from bouncing around and a nice clean install.

6. durafish

from 02919

I use innovative off eBay. $30 a set low beam only. Great quality never had an issue. Use them in plows, trucks, atv, cars. Only thing is sometimes they mix the wire up for high and low. Easy fix. Also great customer service.

7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Is it literally changing the bulb out - plug and play? I thgt there was some type of conversion needed. ?

8. durafish

from 02919

Plug and play buy you gotta plug a few different things in. No splicing tho. 5 min job without getting to the actual bulb and mounting ballast.

9. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

Do you have any pictures to share?

10. durafish

from 02919

Not now but I can. What do you want?

11. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Durafish do they work no matter what truck you hook the plow to? Stupid question I know. I only ask because I put them in my xblade but wont work with my dodge, they just flicker and the module clicks with it. But I plug my dads ford in and they work great

12. rjk512

rjk512 Member

It seems fairly straight forward on a plow...

But your question isn't stupid at all, HIDs are known for being picky and tricky as hell, especially with flickering and what not.

13. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

It was just weird. Let me 1st say I put the night saber ll lights on the plow, used the ford to figure out the wiring since I didnt have my harness in the dodge at the time. Worked fine, hooked up my dads gmc and I ended up getting hot threw ground and hi beam but ground threw low beam, got my harness in and got the flickering, put the original bulbs in everything is fine :dizzy:

14. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

15. stoneexc2

stoneexc2 Member

we had a problem with our fisher light housings melting with standard bulbs so we switched to truck lite led lights and love them they are just as bright as the hid's I had in my personal truck

16. durafish

from 02919

I think hids in the plow are brighter then my truck. They are blinding to others. I also have tinted windows including windshield.

17. durafish

from 02919

If anyone wants to post pics on here I can text you them. I just I installed another set and took pics.

18. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

What would be better for the lows, 3000k or 4300k?

19. durafish

from 02919

4300k or 5000k. I went with 5000k looks clean.

20. stg454

stg454 Senior Member

durafish, I just installed a set of DDM tuning lights in the old style Fisher lights. I have a question. I purchased the HIDs with the wire harness with the relay. Where did you grab power to power the relay harness? I have everything done except the power.
    Thanks for the help