1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID Lights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mike33, Feb 17, 2006.

1. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I just purchased a pair for my v- plow this season. Does anyone else run these and can give opinion on them.

2. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

the price is way too hi . i want but price .and
    the lobeam on the standerd lights suck .

3. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

i got a good deal on a set of demos or i would not of had them

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Funny, some friends and I were discussing HID conversions at dinner last night...

One mentioned catching a segment on TV earlier in the week comparing HID to regular halogen with computers and scopes and the like...

The conclusion was that HIDs were of no benefit as the light reached the same point and brightness...

Seemed odd to me.

I wonder if they really used HID or if they used the blue tinted HID simulator bulbs..? Cuz those suck, I can tell you that from experience as I have a set in my T-Type Buick. Look nice, seem bright, but the light just seems to get absorbed when there is any trace of fog or rain out, regular stock bulbs are better in those conditions. They do work nice in the snow though!

Also a lot of the HID conversions seem to be low-beam only! I wonder why?

5. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

I have low and high . Do you think boss would stiff us?

mike

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

since there is no filament in a HID bulb it is hard to change to a higher light out put. it is more expensive too. halogen bulbs just use a filament that is positioned different go get more light. with the HID bulbs there is no filament. an arc is struck and thats what produces the light. watch those HID lights, when you turn them on the volts required to get the arc started is very high about 10,000 volts or more.
    some states require a vehicle inspection and without high beams you wont pass.

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

no, i have heard good things about bosses HID's, the only negative is the high price.

8. How much is the HID kit from Boss? Can't find a price anywhere?

9. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

1000$ buck is what my dealer told me

10. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

I have 5 different sets of HID lights, including an HID flood light on the back of the spreader.

HID is the only way to fly. The start-up draw is about equal to a conventional halogen lamp but once on, it uses about half of the amps to stay lit and it produces 75% more light.

HID operates at a couple of different light frequencies. 4100K and 6000K the higher the number, the bluer the light. Light is measured in color temperature. 4000-5000 Kelvin is daylight.

HID kits will cost about $1000 +/- Depending which set-up you buy.

Phillips makes an OEM replacement kit with dual ballasts that has a high beam, which just adds energy to the arc to make it brighter.

There is not a need for the high beam.

HID is standard equip on most Cadillacs, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

See www.brightheadlights.com for more info or www.sylvania.com

11. derekbroerse

12. Well, I don't know about you guys, but I can't justify $1000 on a set of headlights, especially when for $400.00 you can throw a lightbar on top your roof with some KC Daylighters on it. 4 Daylighters is enough to give someone a sun tan from 50 feet. :D

I was thinking about mounting a set of KC's next to the lights on the boss plow. Across the bar. 500K candlewatt lights should do the trick.

13. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Or not. The off Road lights have a huge electric draw. Fire up the lights, whatever warning scheme, the plow pump, spreader control (or motor), the heater blower motor, and you may be shocked to find out what the draw is. THEN learn to your additional horror that there is an issue with the fielding of the dual alts on the superduty that prevents the alts from delivering max output.

Look around at the construction and farm crowds. You'll see more and more HID as they migrate to lower the electric draw.

Better, go drive something with HID in it. You'll never go back.

14. My M3 has HID. It is a little better, but to me it doesn't make a "$1000.00 difference."

15. derekbroerse