1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID Lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dodgegmc1213, Apr 1, 2016.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if this would be the right spot for this question but anyway does anyone use HID lights from HIDextra.com? Have any problems? Last year my passenger fog light burnt through the plastic of the bulb, contacted someone from the website and they sent me 2 new bulbs under warranty, well today the passenger side did the same exact thing again, also when ever it's wet out the passenger side doesnt want to work or I'll be driving and both of them would be flashing on and off only when wet tho. I took all the HID stuff out and but the regular bulbs back in and they work fine, also these are aftermarket fog lights that came with their own harness since my truck didn't have fogs in it. This is an 04 ram 2500 the bulbs are 9006 I believe. Anyone recommend a better site to buy from?
    Thanks

2. scottr

scottr Senior Member

If you go onto "dodge talk" under the 3 gen. Area, look around, tons of information about what your dealing with. The OEM fogs on your truck are glass and they may disparate heat better than what you purchased. You truck has a Can Bus system. It's a computer network that runs your truck. Part of that system runs around and looks at amp draw. Your OEM lights on low beam draw about 4 amps each, a 35 watt HID draws about 2.5 amps. Your system thinks you have a "lamp out". Your biggest issue is likely that you picked up a cheap HID convention. I'v installed many of these and you et what you pay for. For example, out of 16 sets, I had 12 ballasts go out with in 6 mo. The company gave me new ones and they are still going. ( 3 years )
    Most sold today will say "Can Bus" ready or approved.
    OK, here's my soap box, guys that put 35 watt HID's in their fog lights and run them with their low beams. Should have them smacked with a ball pean hammer. Their way to bright for on coming traffic. And not DOT approved.

3. dodgegmc1213

since the fogs and wire harness is after market i don't have a problem with the can bus system. when i put my HIDS in my plow lights i had to add the capacitors. the only reason i put fogs in with HID is because my low beams suck, the after market headlights i got have like a black cover over the low beam but not the high beam, stupid design if you ask me so even i put HID as my low beam i don't think it would be any better

4. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

I would recommend retroshop.us Have there hids in mine for 3 years and no problem, high quality stuff

5. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

DDMtunning is where many people buy from. I would also recommend looking into lifetime led light bulbs.

6. dodgegmc1213

Yea I've been looking at sites for leds, I like how they got aluminum housings and supposedly disputes heat better

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I had ddm for 5 years before I finally blew a bulb or ballast. I didn't want to go through the warranty process so brought new sets off Amazon. Haven't had any issues in 2years or so

8. dodgegmc1213

I'm now wondering if it will happen again no matter where I buy them, like scottr mentioned dodge has glass housings, even tho mines aftermarket their still clear glass housings just like oem, so thinking the heat off the HIDs inside the glass is over heating causing this to happen? but why only the passenger side?

heres the bulb I took out yesterday, the same exact spot it happened last year

20160401_154952_resized.jpg

9. anteater6788

anteater6788 Junior Member
    from Iowa

I have used or sold well over 100 of the ddm tuning kits, currently have over 60 in use on our own stuff and I've had 1 ballast fail and a friend who's bought 15+ lights from me has had 4 fail but he thinks it's an amp load problem in his application.

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Never seen that before. Are you using 35 watt in the fog's? I've seen square fog f150s melt the housings

11. dodgegmc1213

35 watt yes

12. dodgegmc1213

Here's another question I just realized, the harness for the fogs has came with an in line fuse and a relay, but why didn't they go? I mean the fuse is ment for this reason but it's fine