1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID Lighting

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by yard5864, Nov 10, 2007.

1. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone is using Boss' new HID lighting, and how they liked it???? Is it worth the $$$?
  2. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

here in Indy, they go for around $600. OUCH!:dizzy: I can't see them being worth that much money. Just plow with your brights on!:)

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

That or just go and buy those blue bulbs you see in those rice burners. and newer cars. Those are plenty bright!
  4. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

that's what I was wondering is if you could put those bulbs in.
  5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I like mine. I would buy them again. They are just as bright as the pictures on the website make them out to be. They look sweet too. The dealer told me mine would be cheaper if installed when i bought the plow... a lot more as an add on option. I think i paid about $600 with a new plow.

The real trick is keeping the boss lights pointed straight.

The fake HID bulbs don't even compare.

do a search too, there have been a bunch of threads on this.
  6. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I would put 100w off-road lights before I spent that much for HID's. I do agree HID's would be cool though.
  7. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

I put the HID light bulbs in my truck and i drive with my brights on and cant see. I switched to the brightest bulb hella makes and it works the best out of all the bulbs.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2007
  8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You put HID color bulbs in, true HID lighting involves ballasts and should involve new housings since the halogen reflectors will blind everyone.

HID will also consume a lot less power than any high wattage halogen bulb.
  9. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Yup there's a BIG difference between the BOSS factory HID's and throwing an aftermarket HID kit into the existing smart-lights.
    I'm happy with mine.

Pretty much this is exactly how it is:
  10. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Thanks guys, I was pretty much thinking the same way as everyone else. Yah they would be nice but the $$ is a major. I think I will just try the buld swap (the brighter whiter halogens)
  11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Those lights are so bright, how do they effect oncoming traffic??

How is visibility when the snow is really coming down??
  12. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I have the HID lights on my truck, which is why i was considering them for the plow. There is a huge difference between what I can see with just the truck lights and what I can see with the plow lights. I love the HID's in the snow, you can notice the snow falling a little more, but I quickly got used to it. As far as affecting other cars on the road, I don;t know.
  13. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

It affects the other drivers on the road just as much as those Audi and BMW HID's.

When driving with snow falling the HID's really pierce right through it. It is very noticeably easier to see with the HID's than with my brights.

In fact i never use my brights because the HID's are that good.
  14. 04f350powerv-xt

04f350powerv-xt Senior Member

I just bought a new power v-xt and I asked to have the HID lights put in. My dealer told me they are illegal in Canada because they are so bright! Kinda sucks because that is the way I like them, nice and bright!