1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID kit in the factory headlights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Greystorm, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Greystorm

Greystorm Member

I had a set of after market HIDs in my factory headlights ,and had a mid weight western installed, the installer said he could not get the plow nighthawk lights to work with the HID kit (something about the hids reversing the power and not letting the plow lights work)

So they had to install the factory bulbs back in the headlamps, and everything is working correctly.

the problem is I miss the awesome lighting I had before with the HIDs does anyone have a solution or tips so I can run the hids and have my plow headlamps work.

I would also like to setup a set of 5000k HIDs for the nighthawk lamp assembly.
  2. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

mine works just fine.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

What exactly are these HIDs? Regardless of what they are the installer is mistaken. He just doesn't want to take the time to figure it out. If these bulbs work with the original vehicle harness then they can be made to work with the plow's isolation module etc.

Give us a better elaboration of what HIDs are and I can tell you what to do. They should also work in the nighthawks.
  4. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

hids are high intensity dischargae lights that require a ballast in order to operate. The vehicles factory headlight harness plugs into the hid's ballast and then the ballast has a harness coming out of it that plugs into the hid bulb that goes into the socket where your factory bulb would go. You have to find out a way to tie your plow light harness into the factory light connectors before they connect to the ballast. I'd like to know exactly how it's done myself since I have hids and I'm installing my plow very soon and don't want to lose my hid lighting.
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like you would just plug the plow harness into the HID ballast? If the original vehicle headlamp wire plugs in there then the western harness should plug in there too. The problem may just be finding the correct polarity and the common wire orientation. Is this a GM four headlamp system? If so the Western headlamp harness plugs in two ways on every bulb connection. The western female half of this connecter will plug in both ways but only one way will work and you have a fifty fifty chance to get it right the first time. Chances are you will get two right and two wrong so you go back and flip them untill all the plow lamps work. It's not rocket science!
  6. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

yeah that's what I'm using, I'm not sure what the original poster is using. I'm sure I can figure it out without any problems. I know GM uses reverse polarity so it's just a matter of plugging the plug in the correct way.