1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID in Nighthawk

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by KJ Cramer, Dec 29, 2010.

1. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I would like to upgrade my nighthawk lights to hid and would like some input on the matter. What would be the best color temp. and is there a particular brand that would be better over another. Is there enough room behind the lens in the housing for the installation, is it plug and play so to speak or is there alot of splicing etc. Will I need to run any additional connections to the truck or will it all stay contained to the existing plow wiring? If there is any other tips/help it would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm aware that this isn't strobe lighting but I figured you guys would still know something bout the matter.

2. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I just put hids in my old style fisher head light assy and I did it with the 6000k and after this blizzard we just had here they are so bright that i had to turn them off to see a few times during the night I think the amber or yellow color would work best for plow lights

3. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Thanks. Anyone else have any input?

4. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I have a BOSS plow with 2nd generation lights, its been covered on here.
    I just ordered a slim balast kit from http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W, I ordered the 6K temp, cause thats what was suggested from just about everyone I talked to, its supposed to be like sunlight. I paid the extra $10 for the slim line balast, they should arrive monday I hope

Total shipped to me is apx. $46

5. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Do get slim ballast and they should fit. I would go with the 5000K color personally. I have the 6K and I think they are too blue and the 4300K is the brightest you can get and the purest white you can get. Anything above that and you are decreasing light output slightly. 6K is still almost 3 times brighter than halogen 55W. Dont need 55W HIDs either. 35W is fine. If you do feel the need to run spot lights and get the 55W get a relay harness otherwise you should be fine. Also remember 55W colorwashes colors too so a 6K would look more along the 4800-5000K and so forth. If you try to match more than 1 set of bulbs from DDM good luck. I have had troubles with them in the past but only with their customer service (which has improved lately) and with their bulbs. Bulbs there suck and will most likely not last long. I had two sets last less than 6 months to a year. I do like their ballast as Ive only had one go out in 3 years and was promptly replaced with the wrong one. Soon after I received the correct one.

I piece my kits together. I buy their sets and trash the bulbs and order bulbs off Ebay. Believe it or not 99% of all ebay bulbs are the same....look at the wrappers. Prices differ alot though. I get mine for $15 shipped and install them with DDM ballast. All is good. In reality you cant b!tch too much cause you just paid less than $60 for HIDs when a good set pieced together from Phillips and Hella usually sets you back $400-$500.

I got writeups all over the place on HIDs but for some reason this place wont make it a sticky. Ive sent it to them and nothing ever came of it. I guess they like all these threads taking up space.

6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

if you want a sticky you gotta pay them the 300 a month for a sponsor tag