1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID in Nighthawk

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KJ Cramer, Dec 29, 2010.

1. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I would like to upgrade my nighthawk lights to hid and would like some input on the matter. What would be the best color temp. and is there a particular brand that would be better over another. Is there enough room behind the lens in the housing for the installation, is it plug and play so to speak or is there alot of splicing etc. Will I need to run any additional connections to the truck or will it all stay contained to the existing plow wiring? If there is any other tips/help it would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm also posting this in the lighting forum.
  2. cowboyplowboy

cowboyplowboy Junior Member

Ok If you're going to put HID's inside of the cover on the backside of the lights,( which is definitely how you want to do it). I would go with 55 watt slim ballast thats probably the only way you will have room in the housing. I wouldn't go over 6k bulbs. If you do the lights will become more blue and in doing so will reflect snow and rain instead of shining through them. It's like driving in fog and turning your brights on you can't see s&%t. They are direct connects no splicing and everything has waterproof grommets and weather stripping. DDM tuning has the best deals in the world and are very helpful with any questions you may have.