1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID headlights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Can i put HID headlights in my 1997 chevy K2500 w/ composite beam headlamps? I really want to do this!! I just don't know what is involved in doing it. I have a friend that is VERY vehicle savy that would do this with me, but, ide really like to do it. Don't think i'm gay or anythign but there is a guy around here that has a set of purple HID's in his truck and i think it's pretty cool! lol

any help or direction on how to do this and where to get the parts would be great!

thanks,
    -mike-

Edit....is this what ide need?
    Low Beams:
    http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=3413

High Beams:
    http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=3412

If so, what else would i need? Can i use the stock headlight bodies or do those need to be changed too? Do i need special bulbs? Any info is greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. mcwlandscaping

3. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Looks interesting. I tried some Sylvania high end bulbs and they suck! What a waste of money. I sent a letter to Sylvania and complained.
    How big of an improvement would HID be over stock. Brighter and whiter is what I'm looking for. Looking for big differences.

Chris

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

You can definitely do it, but you definitely don't want to do it woth a $40 kit. You're either going to cause an accident by blinding oncoming traffic or melt your factory headlight housings and/or wiring harness because they were never designed to handle that kind of heat or electrical load.

Go to hidplanet first and get yourself an education on HID lighting.

http://www.hidplanet.com/main.html

- Lights with high color temperatures are useless. They do a poor job of lighting your way down the road and are illegal. Anything over 6500k is getting prograssively bluer and more useless (or is it less useful?). Lights about 4300k are ideal for actually lighting up the road. The guy you see with the purple lights is probably up in the 10000k range...looks cool I guess, but totally useless...and you probably don't want to try and drive int he rain.

- Aftermarket HID kits are generally of poor quality, use bulbs that are too high in color temperature and offer nothing in the way of an upper cutoff so all you're doing is creating a road hazard by blinding all oncoming traffic. The odds are good that eventually you'll get pulled over and cited for these lights. There are some good kits out there I'm sure...just trying to suggest doing your homework before you buy. Be careful of any kits advertised as plug and play...especially at the $200 or under price point for a complete kit.

- The best solution to retrofitting HID to your truck is to make your own kit out of parts from higher end cars that actually use HID lighting from the factory. Its more work, but well worht the effort if you want to have a system that works well, looks good and really lights up the road.

There have been a bunch of guys on fullsizechevy.com who have done this to obs trucks...go sift the forums there and see what you can find. Lots of good info for you on your specific application. I've enclosed a link below to a particular thread that will basically tell you everything you need to know so you can do it right the first time.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums...terior-tech/274845-hid-upgrade-right-way.html

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Dieselplace.com has lots of threads on those light conversions.

6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

You could always just use a 100watt bulb. I use these in my truck and they make a big difference as long as the headlight lenses arent hazed...... I just take a razor blade and gently scrape off the blue. Plus you can get a set for the price of 1 regular bulb. Have had my sets in for over a year without any problems.

9005 -
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100W...003QQitemZ130190236276QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

9006 -
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6000...003QQitemZ130190236394QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

7. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Would 100watt be to much for the wiring in the truck. But you do say that you ran them for over a year now???

Thanks Chris

8. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Hey Mike, I live in Hudson. As far as I know the purple is illegal in NH. You can only got up to the white I believe. Call the State police and double check before spending the money. I would hate to see you get pulled over, fined,etc for it. They are definately cool though. There is also a guy on the Boston Ma craiglist that sells the good kits for only $99 any color/temperature . Just a hint from your next town neighbor.

9. mcwlandscaping

i have the 100w in the truck now for the highbeams and 80w for the low beams...i really like them but it seems like the HID's would be better, that's why i wanted them. Thanks guys, especially mayhem for all your information and warnings! This is why i ask on here first for everything!! :) I'm not sure if i'll do this anymore, i'll certainly look into it, just at a later date. Thanks again guys, and please if anyone else has any kits that you've used and liked, please share!!

thanks,
    -mike-

10. mcwlandscaping

I figured they are illegal...in my lack of knowledge, i thought the range meant that you can adjust it at will....but since that's not the case i wouldn't have gotten the purple option...waste of money! :)

I'll look into that guy on craigslist..

thanks so much!
    -mike-

11. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

12. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

StreetFrog- Cant seem to find the the HID kits on Craigs List.
    Do you have a link or name??

Thanks Chris

13. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Guys here is a easier way to go. Not HID but cheaper and just a little less light.
    I talked with a lighting engineer at work and he said look for HIRs on ebay and I came up with this.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...80207906513&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123

At $25 per bulb its not a bad deal and $8 shipping. My engineer is looking into it but he thinks the 100 watt bulbs may be to much for thie wiring and the HIRs may be a bit brighter than 100watt bulbs. I'll keep you all up to date as I find out more info.....

Chris

14. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Yup, and I havent had a problem yet..... but I also dont forsee one. A few guys I work with run them too, and no one has had a wiring problem. However, I do understand the concerns. At most though, the only time I have seen a problem with them is actally from the heat. It was on a ford focus that uses the H4 bulbs. The light got hot and melted the plastic casing on the plug........ But that was only one side.

15. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Engineering note: Suggested not using the 100watt bulbs because of the heat and he has seen problems of melting lamp housings. Suggestion was for the HIR's if you dont want to spend the money HID's.

FYI
    Chris

16. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

I put a set of Mcullugh HID 5000K in my 96 yukon 2 years ago and have never had a problem, i changed 1 bulb last week as that was it. The kit is very easy to install and comes with everything you need. DO NOT try and make one from another vehicle as you will probably end up shorting or burning something in your truck. I bought the KIT for about 300.00 and worth every penny..good luck

17. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Do you have a web site or retailer that you delt with?? I'd like to look into this.

Thanks Chris

18. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member