1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID head light conversions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by siewertenterpri, Nov 21, 2008.

1. siewertenterpri

siewertenterpri Junior Member

I have been looking to upgrade my head lights on a old boss plow. I looked at the new style lights and there a lot of cha ching. A friend told me about kits that convert your original lights to HID by just changing the bulb and bulb socket. Has anybody ever tried these?

2. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

I dont know if you can do that on the old boss lights. I think they are a sealed beam. As for the 03-08 and the newest style on the 09 you can. I was able to fit a slim digital balast inside the housing on my 08 boss. Tight fit but do-able and worth the brightness.

The HID are crazy bright (6k). You can buy a slim kit off ebay for about $70 buck.payup

3. siewertenterpri

Your right they are sealed lights originally. I bought different reflectors and lenses with a bigger sized balb and that still didn't help much.

4. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

IM sure there are a lot of guys with the 03-08 plows who bought the 09 style lights. Keep an eye out for them on craigs list or go to a boss dealer. My dealer up here gave me a brand new set, 03-08 cause people were updating. then its a 9005 or 9006 bulb and your off and running with HID's

5. siewertenterpri

Thats a good idea thanks

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The problem with what you're proposing is that by just replacing the bulbs you will blind everyone else on the road. Reason being halogen reflectors are very much different than the reflectors in HID setups, spend the $$ and get the stock ones.

7. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

You can't do it that way. I bought my first boss v-plow in feb. 05. Next year i wanted the hid's my dealer said he only sold 1 pair and the guy had MD. at end of name. You was looking at 1,500.00. He sold me his demo set for i think around 700.00. I love them, they are bright and seems to seperate the snow flakes if you know what i mean. They actually had there own harness also, so it was a little more than changing bulbs. Now, i just traded my plow yesterday for the XT series and kept my hid's. Boss just came out with a new light system that is pretty darn close to the hid's. It was like giving myself a gift buying them, i make good money plowing but long hours and felt i deserved them. :)
    Mike

8. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

Mike, Why CAN"T you do it that way?

The refracter is still in the housing for the low beam, it is just a brighter bulb. Yeah it is brighter but if your lights are properly aimed the effect on other drivers will be minor.

Trust me. I come from a place where we put HID in everything. Truck lights, Driving lights, Fog lights, Snow machines, loaders, graders. you name it.

I know what im talking about.

9. siewertenterpri

I get blinded by the rich folk in there BMW, Mercedes, and the new luxury vehicles anyway why not put them on a plow. Plus not many people out at 2 or 3 in the morning after a snow fall. Get Plowed AK do you know what company you get the lights from for research?

10. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Just because you can fit a kit into the housing doesn't mean it's done correctly

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Continued.

12. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

wow. that's quite a difference. thanks for postin' that up.

worst is, they are aimed great, untill someone puts 2 bags of groceries in the back seat of them lil' cars

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

and that would be another key difference, the OEM projectors have leveling motors in them so the light is always aimed properly regardless of weight.

14. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I was just giving a good guessing opinion, remebering when they replaced mine a few years ago i thought it was kind of complicated and you couldn't do something that simple.
    Mike

15. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

Good Post! That explains a lot!

There is a big differance between normal bulbs and HID bulbs.
    I agree that factory is always best. Lots of time and engineering go into lighting HID/Projector setups.
    I am still a firm believer in replacing my halogens with HID.
    It is way brighter and much cheaper then going with the hi tec housings. I have always been happy with the results. JMO

16. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I never had doubt, just over loaded my mouth with my ass. :) Do you guys in Alaska plow year round?
    Mike

17. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

i bought the new fisher lights and i don't think they were worth the money at all

18. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

vmj did they hookinto the old setup easly? I have the rectangle setup as well and want to upgrade? How much did it all cost. Anyway to get more info

19. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

Mike,
    No year round plowin, thank god! We start around mid october and run through the first week in April. Frozen solid from late Oct-March. I live on the Kenai Peninsula its more South Central. Awesome summers 70's 80's 24 hours of light and the best fishing in the world!

I moved up from Suthern Oregon and im never goin back. Maybe to visit

Joe

20. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i run 6k HIDs in my factory headlights on my f-250 and i've been debating on getting the H4 composet replacemnet diamond headlights for my plow lights and adding another HID kit for them. i just havent spent the cash yet..i have bigger things to worry about.

[​IMG]

i've also been running HIDs in my explorer DD since 2005 and solong as they are aimed correctly i dont get flashed at all and i can see great! my headlights do have a pretty good cutoff though.
    [​IMG]

some people think you need projectors, im honestly not all a huge fan...we have HID projectors in our 300c and yeah there ok..but i'd be just as happy with my HID kit in my normal headlights..my opinion.

we also run HIDs in 2 other explorers, a dodge, tarus and love them all