1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID conversion??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DaBoss, Nov 18, 2012.

1. DaBoss

DaBoss Junior Member

just bought a new wideout, been looking at these headlights and thinking about converting them to HID. Anyone do this to the nighthawk lights? I think with a slim ballast it would work....maybe???

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have installed a few HIDs on trucks and had the same thought about my wide-out. Ther problem will be the extra wires. Even though the plow has 12V full time at the relay I am afraid that the motor draw on the end of the power plug will be too much to maintain minimum voltage for the lights. I think to make it work you would have to run one extra plug, preferably to a second battery or at very least directly to the positive terminal of the battery. Then the lights would be less effected by voltage drop across the cable and motor plug.

No reason why it would't work. What holds me back is the cost. The nighthawks are pretty good and they are already paid for. Costs enough just to keep the plow rolling without hopping it up. I would like it to put money in my pocket, not the othe way around.

3. DaBoss

DaBoss Junior Member

appreciate it, i ordered them call me crazy!! i think with the slim ballast i can fit it in the housing... i had them on my boss plow and loved them and never had any issues.. hopefully these work?? HID nation, $80.00, hopefully as simple as plug them in and tuck away the ballast without a fit of radge!!!

4. mishnick

That is a good price, the people I installed for said they were in the area of $400 for a pair. Keep us informed as to how they work out.

5. MikeT2500

MikeT2500 Junior Member

Just bought a blizzard plow and was looking at upgrading to HID's as well. DDMTuning.com has slim ballast setups for 30.00, Got a set for my truck and they are amazing. Oh yea they have lifetime warranty as well!

6. mishnick

Let us know how they work, $30 is very inexpensive. At that price this could become a very popular upgrade.

7. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I removed mine as they kept having issues as well as killed my battery several times.