1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hid conversion

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by samjr, Nov 27, 2010.

1. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Did any1 do this yet in the new or old style lights

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

subscribed, I've been wanting to do this as well.

3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I was just reading a thread the other day where someone had done this. I can't remember who it was now. I have been tossing the idea around as well. I'm not sure if I want to do just lo beam or get the lo/high beam.

4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

There is a guy who has done this on this forum from Tauton Mass ?-- he posted all the pics this summer --on the fisher thread -just do a search -- he also has it on a ford truck forum. It was around Aug / Sept timeframe. Stated he is just going to do a low beam version Found the tread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=105277&highlight=hid+conversion

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. 06Sierra

from Maine

That is the thread I was talking about. Thanks.

6. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I see you found the thread with my pics. I don't think the pics show - but I used a 4-pin trailer plug to run direct battery power and an additional ground to the HID harness on the blade. It's good and bad.
    Bad - it's ANOTHER plug I have to connect/disconnect.
    Bad - I can't hook the blade with another truck - or it won't have headlights
    Good - it's direct power (and ground) straight from the battery - much better than running through the MM plugs
    Good - I've still got two un-used wires on my 4-pin harness (I'm going to run some LEDs from a flasher on the blade)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  7. TheSkilz

TheSkilz Junior Member

I just did this on my new XLS its a piece of cake ,, for sake of wiring , warr. and no power problems i used the wire that powers the lights connected it to the switch side of a standard 12v 4 pin relay connected a 14ga, wire to the pos.terminal on pump for power add a ground then power out on relay to ballst for hid easy and perfect and no chance of frying wires ,module, or warr.

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Doesn't seem worth it to me. A silver star bulb will give you great visibility.....not that the HID's wouldn't, but for what your gaining, I'll stick to the bulb upgrade and leave the HID's for the truck.

9. samjr

samjr Senior Member

can ya take some pics

And show as how it is done ?
    See i thought all i had to do was plug it in (plug and play)
    If i got to cut anything than ya not worth it:mechanic:

10. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I just did mine and have some pics also I can post them when I get back home it was all plug and play for me no relays and stuff to wire :sleeping:

11. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Yes man can u do that tonight?

And where did u pick them up and what Watt did u got with ?
    Did u get the H13 Hi/Lo or just the H13

12. samjr

samjr Senior Member

When are u getting home ?

Are u away for a bit or just forgot to post :)

13. TheSkilz

TheSkilz Junior Member

Yes this is a plug and play unit no wires to cut (no relays to put in ) this was a personal prefrence ,only due to the thickness size of the wires HID kits use less power than standard lights ,,But the initial start-up of the ballasts uses more powere ,,so as not to eventually ,,,Possibly melt any wires ( Remember i just spent about $6500 on my plow and im not chancing a wire problem ,that Fisher will not warrenty because of this change ).. but your plow ,your way ...

14. 06Sierra

from Maine

I thought they were H4?? Sam, check out ddmtuning.com. They have the regular ballast for $25 and slim ballast for $35. I have either 5000 or 6000K in my truck. I will get 5000K, 35W, for the plow when the time comes. If you get the Hi/Lo I am pretty sure you have a couple extra wires in there to power it.

15. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I just got home from 3200 mile roadtrip I will get the pics up today or tomorrow

16. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

sorry it took me so long I forgot to about the post so these are the slim ballast and the conversion head light assy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

more pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

more
    [​IMG]
    I think the reg size ballast would fit in the housing but it is like putting 5 lbs of $h#@ in a small bag thats for sure I got the 5000 bulbs for my plow and truck and they are alot brighter than reg headlights now if we ever get any snow hear i can test them out I am into the conversion for right around 160 ish I believe

19. z71plowguy

z71plowguy Senior Member

what housing did u order to put the hids in thanks

20. 06Sierra

from Maine

I think any 4.5x6 composite will work. Check ebay, there are usually bunch there.