1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hid conversion in smartlight2's!!!!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by the new boss 92, Nov 24, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

well some of you know i wasnt satisfied with the light output from the smartlight2's on my boss straight blade. so i pmed a couple people that had the same lights with the same satisfaction as me. best thing i got out of the serch was to take the lights apart and put a small self tapper into the bottom of the deflector and install hids. Thats what i did!!!!! I got my hid kit from www.ddmtuning.com great people to deal with and fast shipping. I went ahead and got the 35w 5k kit with slim ballest and started my swap. everything is plug and play and there is really no BS with the swap at all. i took som pictures they are a little hard to see but get the point across. If any one has any questions pm me or post up and ill answer them. I am still waiting on my hoses so i dont have any pictues of the plow mounted with lights on yet but i willin the next couple days when i do my fliud change.

A special thanks to Bltp203 for helping me out in getting the right kit and do's and dont's!wesportwesport

hid.jpg

hid1.jpg

hid2.jpg

hid3.jpg

hid4.jpg

2. the new boss 92

more.... i did take these with my cell phone so once again im sorry they are a little hard to see. as you can see they give you extra plugs with the bulbs for some reason. i just cut them off so i didnt have a cluster phuck of wires in my housings.

hid5.jpg

hid6.jpg

hid7.jpg

hid8.jpg

hid9.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  3. the new boss 92

the last couple pictures are comparing the slim ballest to the regular ones. i have the regular ballest in my truck with 8k 35w from a different person and they SUCK flicker alot. the ones i got from ddm tuning dont flicker one bit and will do the job as exspected! i will update tomarrow or friday when i get my hoses back showing them at night and turned on. but for now the install is complete and wanted to start a thread so i wasnt here uploading pictures for an hour!!! payupwesport:drinkup:

hid10.jpg

hid11.jpg

hid12.jpg

hid13.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Looks great man......i would love to see the pic of the plow on ur truck

5. the new boss 92

i will get it tonight, my dads bring the last hose home tonight and i just picked up the fluid so it will give me something to do other than drinking beer at night after work.:drinkup: but for now im going to throw the other new hoses on before work so i can just drain the fluid and refill for picture time!!!!

6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Glad everything worked out...........so you think we can squeeze 2 ballasts in there and run HID on the high beams too?

7. the new boss 92

i dont know i think you could but its going to be like a virgin. your deff going to have to run slims if you do both high and low beam!

8. the new boss 92

i got it ready for snow now. here is the out comeof the lights at night. i dont have a comparison because i never was able to keep regular bulbs in the damn thing. Second picture i was about 75ft away, lights are way brighter than i thought. last one is the truck in the garage with no ballest yet hold the plow pretty well if ya ask me!:nod:

hid14.jpg

hid15.jpg

hid16.jpg

9. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

looks great, i've been wondering how the new headlights would take HIDs. i had my older style(sealed beam) boss lights converted over but ran into issues with getting enough power to them(old wiring harness without relays) so i plan to rewire it all somtime and put my HIDs back in. in the mean time i just run with the truck lights on and keep the plow low enough i can see when driving.

10. the new boss 92

thats what i had to do last year, run with the plow low enough to keep the truck lights on because it kept blowing bulbs and after 2 sets i gave up on fixing them till this year.

11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Man that truck and plow combo looks great

12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If you are blowing bulbs, I think you have other problems.

13. 91AK250

you would be surpised at the amount of those factory boss bulbs that blow. i've replaced more then i can count under warrenty. somtimes they both blow which can make it kinda hard to track down the prob. but after that one truck came in like that its the first thing i check.

14. the new boss 92

nope the peoblem would be the stupid deflectors poping out and smashing the bulbs in the housings! if it was truck or plow side related there would be more things going wrong!

15. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

is the ballast actually fastened down inside the headlight there or just laying in there????

16. 91AK250

there is a TSB out about this and your dealer should repair it per the TSB under warrenty. i've fixed so many of these i cant even count how many.

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

18. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Oh, never mind then. I believe they fixed the problem in the newer models.

19. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Yep, 1 kit gets you 2 bulbs and ballasts.

Hooked up today to get ready for a storm and got some flickering. Turned off the lamps, then turned them back on and it was gone. I plan on a good workout for the plow tomorrow so I will report back on how things work out.

20. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Awesome, thanks! I'm ordering a set right now.