1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HID Bulbs in New Boss Lights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bltp203, Sep 12, 2010.

1. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Has anyone tried to install HID in the new boss headlight housings yet? I have a 9006 55watt kit laying around and was going to give it a shot. I just wanted to know if the housing was going to need any modification.

2. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Shouldnt b an issue just get ready for an onslaught of angry drivers flashing u. Hids arnt meant to be installed in a halogen reflector housing. Now a projector retrofit would b great. I have hids in all my trucks and lookng to change over to projectors. Check out lightwerkz.net

4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Thanks for the link, that is what inspired me to look at this for the new style lights.

I agree that using them on the open road isn't a good idea. But, since there is hardly any traffic out when I am pushing, I am not to concerned about it. Or maybe I will just switch the high beams for plowing and leave the low's halogen for road driving.

Just looking to see if anyone has done it yet. With kits only costing $40.00 now (DDM Tuning), it seems like a no brainer.

5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Well I went ahead and did it. Took only like 10 minutes per side to do. 1 ballast is easy to fit in, not sure if I will be able to get 2 in there. Here is a pic. This is with 8000K bulbs and 55 watt ballast. Not the ideal setup, but like I said, the kit was just laying around.

Ideally you would want 35watt and 5 or 6000K bulbs.

I will try to convert the high beams later on in the fall. DDM has the kits down to $35.00, which is the price of one replacement HIR2 bulb alone!!!!!

DSCF4721.JPG

6. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Wow! Are those your high beams on also?

7. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Yep.......gotta love the dual burn harness.

And for those I have confused.....The HIR2 bulb in the new lights is basically just a brighter 9006 bulb. So when you order an HID kit, you will order a 9006 for the low beams and H9 for the high beams.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plow lamps are mounted too high for HID's to be a true advantage over incandescent without projectors. Installed a couple sets of 6000K's in the new style lights for a customer a year ago and he only ran them for two events before having me remove them. He highly disliked the glare and of course the reflectors aren't correct for HID's either which compounds the issue with "light wash" you'll get with HID's in a non projector housing.

9. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Thats the best part......if I don't like it, I can put it back to stock in 10 minutes.