1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hi to all

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim C, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Tim C

Tim C Member

Hi all not posted in a while. alot of lawn cutting this year season. Just had my FisherMM tuned-up,on this great rainy day. First time in two seasons. Was talking to some other guy's that plow and they told me I was wasting my money. I just think general repair will save me time in the long run, and less chance of a problem at 3am and snowing!!. This guy told me he has not tuned his plow in 10 seasons,no need if it still works.

I put fisher fluid in this time around, there was dextron3 in it from the start. Will see how it goes.

Again Hi ho to all :waving:

Tim C "LEEEET IIIITTT SNOW":drinkup:

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

TIM.......You are a WISE man! Maint. on ANY hard working
    piece of equipment before it need it... aka breaks...is like
    money in the bank!
    Its like NEVER checking or changing the oil/filters/plugs etc.
    in you truck/mowing/snow equipment !

This winter at 3am and the "white gold" is falling from the
    sky and your pushing away making $$$$ and you see one
    of those naysayers broke down and LOSING $$$$ and
    having some unhappy customers to boot!

That smartly spent few dollars is worth it.

You will smile ear to ear with your wise decision !

I am sure most pros here will concur...................geo:D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I changed the oil on a car the other day that had not had the oil changed in 2 years. Still ran fine but you never know. Did a tune up a few months back, first one on a truck with 165,000 miles.

My point? Often you can get away without maintaning a piece of equipment and sure you save money. What often happens though is that the longer you wait the bigger the bill when something does break.

Better to pay a bit up front.

And with that I am heading for the phone to call in my tune-up parts order.

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

We change the oil in our meyer after every 2 storms. We check it before and after each storm to make sure all is well. Getting ready early is the key to finishing a snowstorm problem free. If the plow kicks the bucket at 2am then you really can't get back out to the route until the local plow dealer opens. If you make sure the plow is ready for the storm then you can prevent a lot of problems:)

5. push4$$

push4$$ Junior Member

Meyer, I know your unit is a Meyer:rolleyes: ,but why change the oil after every 2 storms?

6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

well meyer's E47 unit requires high maintanice. We also keep clean oil in it to ensure that the plow will last a long time. We only broke down once with our meyer and that was due to a bad lift motor. also clean oil keeps the hoses clean and the plow working strongly. As the oil begens to get mixed with water it freezes and works slower.

7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Every two storms is pushing it. Thats alot of added expense and headaches draining and refilling perfectly clean fluid. Although I will admit that that is alot better of a maintenance plan than some guys on here. I won't mention any names.........................MIKE. As long as your fluid is very clean and the reservoir is always filled to the appropriate levels all should be fine.

Jaypumpkin:

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I love you guys who come into the shop pre-season and let me spend an hour just going over your truck to make sure it will be ready for the first snowfall. Now you guys who wait until the last minute and call at midnight because you cant find your pins or forgot about the one broken part, oh yeah, your going to pay the big money. Those of you who are checking things over, dont forget to check the bolts in the mount, along with making sure that all electrical connections are clean an tight, nothing like charging for an hour to tighten up the battery cables.

9. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I usually change my fluid 2 times a season to keep it fresh. Once before and in the middle of winter pumpkin: Preventative maintenance is always a good idea :D Right Mike :nono: pumpkin:

10. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I change mine once a year whether it needs it or not.