1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hi-Tech Plow Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HandyHaver, Dec 3, 2001.

1. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Here's an article that many may find interesting. Dec/2001 issue of Popular Science. Minnesota DOT is testing a high tech plow truck that's equipped with forward looking radar that watches the road for obstacles up to 300 ft. ahead. It's also eqipped with an onboard GPS that locates the plow's position to within one inch, showing both obstacles and the roads bounderies on a heads up transparent display that allows the driver to see display & the road. States that looking through the display, it's like the lines on the road were just painted even in "0" visibility. Before any such plow can be used, a network of correction stations (towers) would need to be built to allow the GPS to track the plow to within an inch! (a friggin inch!!!) So far only three have been built.

How long before the drivers are replaced as well??? I can see sitting home in front of my monitor holding a joy stick plowing my accounts. Gotta work on the robot for the walks. Better use magic salt so not to rust the robot!!

Mark

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

it may be kind of neat to plow from the recliner

it will be after my lifetime though

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Re: "High Tech Plow Truck":

But how does it deal with the REAL problem faced by the plow operators: those SUV-driving dingbats that HAVE to wait until the height of the blizzard to go somewhere, and don't know how to drive anyway!!! :p

4. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

smart bombs, then it buries the debri in a snow bank to be identified in the spring.

Mark

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think Iowa DOT tried one of those last year. Sounds good, but how many of us could afford one? Imagine factoring that into "yearly fixed costs". (Yes sir, Mr Jones, it'll only be $2000 "per push" for your 30'x50' drive)

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

"PLUS the annual fee for the correction station (tower) on your street Mr Jones".........................:eek:

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

And they said that extended cab truck was too long for small lots...

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I could find a use for that truck, if i could find the cash to buy it.

Geoff