1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hi!!!/ Sand Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by voodooshrimps, Jan 19, 2016.

1. voodooshrimps

voodooshrimps Junior Member

Hi everyone. For the past few years ive been only doing residential plowing.. Well this year i was offered a couple parking lots and i took them. I bought a brand new polycaster 1.5 yd and its pretty great. My question is does anyone use straight sand in their sanders? ive been using salt sand mix, but at $50/yd im kinda not making much at all when i sand my lots. I asked the guy at the place i get sand and he said it would freeze solid in my sander... So what do you think is he full of s**t or do i really need to use mixed sand?
    :waving:

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i had that happen but i think it got wet then flash froze i only buy rock salt

3. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

I use all types of material..salt..sand and salt...sand...gravel... Anything that dosent have salt in will freeze. Unless it is completely dry and free of moisture...the last thing you want is a frozen hopper of sand...been there...I use some rock chips and they bust up fairly easy...but if it is long distance it will freeze up...but adding window washer fluid does help a little

4. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Do your customers even want straight sand?