1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hi Range vs Low Range?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dave in Pa., Nov 26, 2002.

1. Dave in Pa.

Dave in Pa. Junior Member

Just went frrom a 94 chevy with 4:10 posi rear automatic, 7.5 foot western and now putting the plow on 88 GMC 15OO that has posi but a 3.42 rear. I never used low range in my 94, never found anything I couldn't push either, but am wondering about the GMC 15OO? Is low range gonna be better to use in this truck? (driveways mostly) Thanks in advance & glad we are gonna maybe see some snow!! Dave
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Ive got 3.42's and have only used low-range once, that was pushing some heavy wet snow,(4-5" with rain on top) and it had no troubles. Usually im in High, 2wd sometimes, you end up running the engine a little harder, but besides that one time, ive not yet met anything i couldnt at least break up and move. Hope that answers your questions
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Low Range

Dave I agree you really shouldn't need to use low range, that truck should push just about anything just like your other one. I think that the last time I had mine in low range Jimmy Carter was President. Enjoy your new truck! :rolleyes: John
  4. Dave in Pa.

Dave in Pa. Junior Member

Thanks a lot for the info, may the snow god's bless you all this winter! Dave :D