1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hi or Low?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beanz27, Jan 6, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

What do you guys plow in? High Range or Low Range? Personally I plow in high, plowing in low with my manual would be ridiculous as I can start out in overdrive if I want to, geared too low for that. What about you guys?
  2. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm always in high when plowing. I only use low if I'm really stuck or pulling someone out of a ditch.
  3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

High range if in 4wd at all, I carry alot of weight
  4. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

I only put it in low range on 2 of my driveways, and that's because they are steep. In low backing down over I do not have to touch the brakes until the bottom when I actually want to stop. Plowing my parking lots, I usually can plow in 2wd, unless it's wet snow, then I put it in 4hi for stacking purposes.
  5. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

I almost always plow in 2wd. Till the end of route when my vbox is empty. I don't think I have ever used 4low plowing in 8 years.
  6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

4 lo at all times. Even when i am just out salting. You never know when you might need an extreme amount of torque with as little speed as possible. You can never be to careful.
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I can get away with 2wd most of the time especially when the V box is full. This year with new tires under it Ive only used 4wd a handful of times. Ive never used 4lo doing anything.
  8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking. I know any time i come to a steep incline I've put it in 4 lo, or when we haul trailers in the field hauling bales out, but plowing I didn't think many people did.
  9. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

High, or 2wd. Only use low if I am stuck.
  10. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

^ same here... Usually stay in 2wd high.
  11. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

You use low gear when you are pushin heavy snow and your truck is workin to hard. I switch to low when im having to mash the gas peddle harder and harder in order to push. Low gear is easier on your tranny. I had to use it last week first time in a while.

Im surprised im not reading other guys doin the same, bunch of rookies or what?
  12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

In all my years of construction & landscaping I can only remember one time I've ever used 4lo and that was on a stubborn tree stump. Come to think of it, I don't ever recall putting any of my personal trucks in low range.
  13. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I usually plow in the low gear of my 6 speed. One of my propertys is steep and if need be I will put it in Low when things are slick so the tires are less prone to slipping and sending me down the hill sideways.

I have gotten myself out of some close calls by putting it in L and having the extra control over not spinning my tires.
  14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Trucks with Auto tranny I run in high and 1st gear I never push in drive

My manual trucks push in high 1st and 2nd gear

There was a time in 2010 I plowed Low range busting drifts with V plow Drifts was taller then the truck That was a fun 3/4 mile drive that took a hour to get to the house
  15. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i do all my plowing in 4low its just easier on the truck, cant even get going in 2wd would never try plowing in it.
  16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I plow 99.99% of the time in 2wd or 4hi. Hardly ever use 4lo. If I'm in 4lo I'm either playing bulldozer with my plow or trying to pull someone out.

I use 4lo more in the summer pulling my gooseneck loaded with hay out of a field then I do for anything else.
  17. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Your trans temp will tell you when you need low , a VERY rare occurance. And shifting into low does not improve traction or lessen wheele slipage.
  18. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

I might have to quote this in my signature
  19. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ya, but doesn't having it in Lo range help lock up all the wheels to minimize the amount of slipping?

20. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Everybody's either too macho to use the tools at their disposal or too scared of 4LO because they have no idea how trucks work.

There are a few exceptions, people who have actually thought about it, are not too macho, and know how it works, and those folks probably feel like it takes too long to shift in and out of 4LO for each driveway.

Keeping the tranny cool is one reason to use 4LO. I've seen a few failed transmission posts. Another is fine power control and engine braking that, while not necessary, can be a pleasant way to do things. There's no shortage of people here willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars more than necessary just so things are more pleasant, but they are afraid to press that button or shift that lever. To each his own, and I'm sure plenty of people have tried it and failed to enjoy it, but a closed mind does no good.

It feels like that, probably from the finer power control, but the differential doesn't know any difference. Doesn't really matter since sometimes it really delivers results.

However, here's the biggest argument for using 4LO: If you don't, it might not work when you finally want it. Exercise your features once in a while even if you don't need to. Prevent actuators from getting crud or rust, prevent seals and gaskets from drying out, keep everything oiled, and make sure things work when you don't need them yet. My dad's first 4WD truck, he didn't know what to do with 4WD and didn't use it for years, then when he went to use it it didn't work...something had seized from disuse. For years I didn't use air conditioning in any of my vehicles, then one summer I wanted it and it was broken in all of them; the seals had dried up and leaked. I now make sure to exercise all my features once a month.