1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hi im new to the site and to plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by whiteblue1942, Aug 21, 2007.

1. whiteblue1942

whiteblue1942 Junior Member

i have a 1998 dodge 4x4 and am about to buy a plow. i need to know if any plow will fit my truck as long as it fits on the mount. or if there are plows especially for dodges or fords or what not. thanks!!!

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well it would help us by telling us what you model dodge you have, along with the engine? Also what do you plan to plow? Drives or parking lots.

3. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Hi Welcome

You should check your area out, to find what the brand being used in your area the most . Then talk to some of the plowers to get there input about the plow and most importance if service is good for the plow . Just my 2 cents .

4. whiteblue1942

whiteblue1942 Junior Member

i have a ram 1500 with a v8 magnum and i plan to plow driveways only

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

26 series Snoway with Down pressure, if there's a local dealer.

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you want a real plow. Western 7.5' Mid Weight would be my first choice. Fisher 7.5' LD would my 2nd choice. Both are handled very well on half tons.

7. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I would take a look in your area to what type of plow dealer is closest to you, not only to get parts, but in emergencies you don't want a 2 hour drive in the middle of a snowstorm. Keep a lookout as you drive around...see what other people in your town are using, ask they why, ask them where they purchased and if they are happy. Don't go buy brand "ABC" just becasue the most people here tell you to.

8. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

here is my .02
    Check with the local dealers. As Snowman stated, you want to make sure you have availibility to parts and service, without going 60 miles away, and make sure the service is available to you at all times, within reason. Then after determining what brands are available, look at the different weights of the plow, and price,, as for your budget.
    If you can afford to beef up the front a little, then you might get away with a bigger plow.

Personally, if you are doing just drives, with a 1/2 ton truck, I would go with just a standard duty 7.5 foot plow. I do plenty of drives with one, and have never had an issue.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Can you explain what you mean by "as long as it fits on the mount"? Do you have a truck-side mount on it already? If so, getting the brand that fits it will be the cheapest way to go. If not, then there is a lot of brands of plow out there that will fit. More than the brand is to be concerned with the weight and what features you want. Do you want power angle or do you want to save money by changing the angle by hand? Do you want a V-plow, one that can form into scoop mode or a straight blade? If you are doing straight driveways, then I'd suggest a straight blade with power angling. If you have long runs (like a private road) then you might want to look into a V-plow (I think there are some out there that will go on a 1/2 ton) or if you are doing some parking lots, then an expandable plow that can convert to a box plow might be the way to go. But, for MOST V-plows and expandable plows, you will need a bigger truck. There are several "homeowner" plows out there that you can install yourself and are under or near $1,000. BUT, be aware that they are HOMEOWNER plows and not intended for commercial use. Commercial meaning that you will be plowing more than your own driveway. Some cannot be lifted for transport or only with great difficulty. They usually do not have hydraulics and must be angled manually.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You never did say if you have the truck side mount on the truck already.
    If it has the controls or the pump still on it?