1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hi I'am new to the site Aaron

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by aaronlampi, Feb 9, 2010.

1. aaronlampi

aaronlampi Junior Member
    from 55445

I have a 1996 3/4 ton with 8600 lbs front. axle full float rear 14 bolt with 4.10 gears in a Gmc suburban with a 454.will the 9200 lbs torsion bars work in the suburban?I have a 8.6 western pro.I already have timbrens but the front sags pretty hard.I also have ride rite air bags in the rear for pulling a 30 ft boat in summer plus a dump trailer for my work.the suburban with the plow and dump trailer weigh combo is 13,560.lbs.to give a idea with what I have for a combo set up any ideas would be great thanks Aaron:yow!:

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Welcome Aaron-
    you sure the front end is 8600? Or is that the gross weight of the burban? Mine is an 07, and has a GVW of 9200. The front is only 4800.

3. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

front rating of 9600 are you sure??????? that sounds incredibly heavy.

4. aaronlampi

aaronlampi Junior Member
    from 55445

re tag weight

the tag on the door says 8600 lbs I just replaced hub bearings and ball joints and needed that info to get parts.they say very few where made that way.

5. aaronlampi

aaronlampi Junior Member
    from 55445

weight

I said 8600 lbs I will go take pic of tag

6. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I dunno man sounds a little on the heavy side,,, as ford only rates the dana 60 in the 1 tons, at 6g.

7. aaronlampi

aaronlampi Junior Member
    from 55445

re weight

tgvw is 8600 lbs.the front is 4250 lbs sorry about the confusion

P1010180.jpg

P1010182.jpg

P1010181.jpg

8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

if you've already got the heavier suspension,,,and timbrens, i dont think theres much you can do beyond going to a shop to get some upgraded springs, no matter what there is gonna be some sag with a 4200 front ratiing.

9. aaronlampi

aaronlampi Junior Member
    from 55445

thats why I'am asking if bigger torsion bars would help with getting the front end up:confused:will these bars work on my front end gm part # 15732338 and 15732339

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck, I love those wheels on the old body style. Not sure which bars yours came with, being a big block truck, but you can improve it a little by upgrading the bars. There is a chart on fullsizechevy.com (offroading forum) and you can figure it out from there. My diesel 3500 presumably has the highest gvw bars there is ( I think they're called purple bars), so I have nowhere to go. Have your tried cranking them up a little? 5 turns made a noticeable difference with my truck. Also, are those airbags adjustable, like the 5ks, or are they 1ks? I had to learn to back mine off because even with a load I was transferring rear weight forward with the plow on.
    The front end is goind to sag regardless, that's a big plow. People always want to take every bit of sag out of the suspension, but I don't think you need to. If it isn't bottomed right out, it's doing it's job. And you're not plowing like that, just driving between jobs. Once you drop the plow to work it you are seriously unloading the front end and gaining better rear traction to push. I think people forget that.

There's also a really expensive option for front shock/airbag combos. Firestone makes some, guys here love them. It's essentially a small rubber bladder on top of a shock. Too rich for my blood, but I'd consider them if they ever come down in price. And if you're considering new T-bars, the shocks are probably in your range anyway. Actually, I know they make them for the newer trucks, but I'm not certain if they are even available for our trucks.

So, to answer your question, yes you can swap in heavier torsion bars. I don't know how much difference it will make, but it seems like a good idea.

11. Detroitdan

Dump the airbags some and put some heavy ballast at the back too, that will help leverage the front end up. Not sure what Suburban guys do for ballast, but you need it.

I don't believe I've ever seen a full floater in a Suburban, that's pretty sweet.

12. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

i would just turn up your t-bars and call it a day. Are you having problems with hitting curbs or anything with the sag? if it is not affecting functionality, then i wouldn't mess with the t-bars except maybe to crank them up-no reason to sacrifice ride quality for the rest of the year for a slightly better wintertime look.

13. aaronlampi

aaronlampi Junior Member
    from 55445

It was custom ordered that way the burb has 113k for miles,I love the fact that its multi use and great for hauling and with kids and dogs.I have the bags at 50 lbs of air pressure and rides really nice.also love the cipa magna mirrors 10x10 slide out like the super duty fords.makes for seeing whats around you when pulling and plowing:laughing:I do have the bars cranked up like 6 threads from bottom of head of bolt

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  14. aaronlampi

aaronlampi Junior Member
    from 55445

It was custom ordered that way the burb has 113k for miles,I love the fact that its multi use and great for hauling and with kids and dogs.I have the bags at 50 lbs of air pressure and rides really nice.also love the cipa magna mirrors 10x10 slide out like the super duty fords.makes for seeing whats around you when pulling and plowing:laughing:

15. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Can we get some pictures during the day. Or, with a flash.
    Seems to me that you don't have that big of a sag at all.
    What's the problem?
    Crank those torsion bars, but make sure you put them back at the end of the season.

16. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You need some ballast. It doesn't look like it is sagging that bad. Looks like a really nice suburban.

17. Detroitdan

6 turns is plenty, I wouldn't recommend going any more than that. 50 lbs is too much air if you aren't towing a huge trailer or loaded down. And like I said, even if you load it down with ballast, cranking the bags up to carry it higher will only transfer weight to the front axle. I went through that with my truck after I put the bags in. I'd get a load of sand on and blow the bags up to 60 to carry it, the rearend was way higher than the front and the plow wasn't lifting high enough. I run mine at 20-30lbs usually with just my tailgate sander on and big toolbox. When I put a ton or two of mix on I might bump it up to 40 but even then I usually don't. 20 lbs will keep it from bottoming, and it will still ride good just not pushing weight forward.

18. aaronlampi

aaronlampi Junior Member
    from 55445

new pics

here are new pics with plow up and own also I dropped air pressure in the rear bags to 15 lbs

P1010181.jpg

P1010182.jpg

19. Detroitdan

That's a beauty, wish I had one just like it. It looks really good with the plow up, I wouldn't change a thing.