1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hi great site...i have some ????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mr.plow, Sep 25, 2005.

1. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

Hi, great site. I am not new to plowing or salting, but I am new this year fro plow/salting with my own contracts and equipment and would like a little advise on salters.
    I have a 2005 F550 4x4 sd 6.0l auto xlt single cab with 11' foot dump. I have the snowplow prep package(or heavy duty front srpings) and I added an extra 1ton of springs in the back on top of manufact. I'm going to be getting a blizzard 8611 plow for it(more on that in another thread).
    Now I'm trying to decide what type of salter to get. I'm going to go with an undertailgate salter. last year i was working for my cousin salting/plowing using a gm 3500 with a 9'x7' box with coresponding untsalt. problem I had was that it was not consisten shotting out salt. When i'd set it and start salting it would be fine...get to a little incline push the gas and it would shoot out like crazy! lower the spinner..levle ground and it woul barely come out. As you good imagine this made me very frustrated. I don't know if all these types of salters do that or just this one. This is the main concern i have with buying one.
    If someone on here can give me some expereinced info on untsalt i'd really appreciate it. As i have little knowledge on the matter. wich brand would the majority of you choose for this truck that i regularly put 6t of material in, i don't know how much yards of salt that is. thanks for any help. :waving:
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

First off I am not sure what a untsalt is. Is this an under mount tailgate salter?
    6 tons of salt will be approx. 6 yards. I had an under mount salter for 1 year and found getting a constant flow was every hard without having the box most of the way up and then the spinner was close to the ground and the box would sway when you turned. A vibrator might help this problem but I didn't try one. They also sell tailgate replacement models which allow the spinner to be higher from the ground allowing you to drive with the box higher in the air.
    We now use a V box salter in that truck and it is easy to take out to use the box of the truck but the salting is much easier and quicker.