1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HI everyone, got some lift questions.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by wesleyXcore, Feb 15, 2006.

1. wesleyXcore

wesleyXcore Junior Member

Hey everyone, new to the forum, and new to the industry.
    I've got a 88 k2500 longbed 4x4 350 that i'm planning to push snow with next year and use for my planned landscaping business staring this spring. I've got a couple questions about the truck. First off, i've been driving the truck on and off for a while, and i know that with the plow the front ground clearance is horrible. A company called rought country sells heavier duty torsion bars in the front, for a 1.5" front lift. Would this effect the plow operation? Thanks.

2. MBB

MBB Senior Member

No will not effect plow opperation providing it is set up correctly to begin with. It will help carry the weight of the plow when attached & give you better clearance when plow raised for transport, but will stiffen the ride when not attached. You will still have a higher wear factor on the front end parts due to the plow weight, just make sure you do not go over front axel load rating. all the plow mfg have charts recomending which plows are best suited for which truck. Be aware that some ballast in the bed will be needed also, you will need to factor that in to the front axel load also.

3. wesleyXcore

the truck's already equipped with a plow. It's an older boss model, 7'6". I'll try to get an exact model number if that's helpful. But yeah, thanks for the provided info.

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

If it's a true 3/4 ton, those torsion bars from Rough Country will be a downgrade. "Tighten" the bolts that put the preload on the torsionbars, that usually helps. There really isn't any reaason that a 3/4 ton truck can't hold up a 7.5' plow.

Timbrens would be my next step if adjusting the torsion bars didn't work.

5. wesleyXcore

it truly is a 3/4 ton. i apologize, i think i just discovered the kit is intended for 1/2 tons only. But yeah, i dont think its the plow that's causing it, the truck has low ground clearance from the factory. The plow carriage just gives me something more to hit when going through a dip in a field and what not. So just to come away with the right answer, a small lift(2-2.5) should not hurt plow operation at all. I'm trying to fit some bigger tires under this thing man!:dizzy:

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I would still crank up the torsion bars before doing anything else. You can get up to about 1.75-2" without causing too much trouble on the HD trucks, you will need an alignment after doing this though. You should ba able to get some 285/75/16 on it, thats basically a 33x10.50, but the highest rating you can usually get for them is D, not too many E rated tires in that size.

7. wesleyXcore

thanks i appreciate it.