1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hi beam works...Low beam doesnt

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Sno Biz, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

Can this problem be a relay or coincidence that both low beams are burnt? Anyone else ever had this happen? If it is the relay, where is it located, under the hood or under the dash?

Thanks, jR

2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Mine were under the hood. They should be by the drivers side headlight. What kind of vechicle are you using? I am having the same problem, but it is in both my truck and plow.

3. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

Its a 94 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 7 1/2' Western Unimount

4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Ah I dont know much about gm's. But the realys should be up by the head lights. They are available at napa. Just take your old one in. Do your low beams work when the plow isnt hooked up?

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

try swapping the two relays first..... that will tell you if it is a bad relay... Usually on the passenger side near the headlight is where you will find them.

6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I had the same problem last year. It was a bad relay cube. It looks fine, but inside it someplace there was a problem. Put a new one in and it worked like new. As far as locations, I find no one person puts things in the same place regardless. Good luck

7. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

Found it! Had to pull the grill off to access it behind the driver side headlights. The installer had the relays protected by a heavy plastic bag. I switch them both since I had them out. Works as good as new.
    Thanks for the help.

8. ergsr

ergsr Junior Member
    from NH

I have a similar problem, about 2 months ago, my low beams stopped working on the truck without the plow on. I changed the low beam relay and it was fine for a few weeks. With the plow on, the plow high and lowbeams work. Then it happened again, this time I bypassed the plow harness and hooked it up back to the GM headlight plugs and have not had any issues. This past weekend, I replaced the low beam relay with a brand new relay and added the hardness back in and it still does not work. I'm not sure if I should replace the harness or I have another issue, it seems the culprit is the low beam on the harness. I have a MM1 on a 2001 Chevy Silverado, its a 6 relay harness. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. BTW this is not a new installation, I have had it installed since 2001. Thanks, Eric

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

There are 2 low beam relays in that harness, one for the truck low beams and one for the plow low beams. Did you replace the right one?

10. ergsr

ergsr Junior Member
    from NH

I only replaced the truck rely, maybe I should replace the plow relay too. I have the wiring schematic and that is what I'm following. I figured the plow lights works it must be the truck side. Over the weekend when I hooked up the plow harness with the new relay, it still didn't work. I was going to trace the line tonight and see if I can find a break in the line

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

This will also happen if your low beam tab breaks off in the plowside harness. They'll corrode and disappear sometimes, and for some reason, the low beam one is the most common. Problem sounds like a relay b/c it was intermediate, but just an FYI about the tab. Replacement splice in plow side harnesses are available and about $40.

12. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check to make sure that you have power on the brown wire at the relay with the lights on.