1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hi beam + Lo beam Wired Together

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DFLS, Feb 7, 2008.

1. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Has anyone ever spliced the wires together in the housing on the plow so that both the Hi beam and Lo beam burn at the same time? Would it be too much amperage for the wiring to have HI/LO together on one wire from the plow to the hookup under the hood? If you are driving in LO beam and hold the HI/LO switcher on the steering column then both HI and LO are on together. Just wondered if it would be possible to have that effect all the time. When driving around with my HI beams on I never have anyone flash me so they really aren't that bright. I don't have the HID option.

2. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Good way to melt some wires:nod: - let us know if it works.......xysport

3. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

or........ you could get some night saber II plug-n-play:bluebounc

4. Big Papi

Big Papi Junior Member

My lights are awesome hi & lo beams.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I know they make a inverter to make both high and low beams on at the same time. They make them for trucks with 4 head lights. 2 low beams and 2 high beams. Like the newer gmc and chevys and what not. The classic body styles you know. Dunno if it works or not but...

6. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Hi & Lo beams on at the same time

Yes, you can do this, but not like you're suggesting,.. it has to to done safely with a relay, and this way you have just low beams on low, and both hi & lo on high beams. I have done this to every Chevy truck I've owned, and also my Boss plow, since it has quad headlights as well. All you need is a $5 30-amp relay, and wire it in so that your (+) high-beam wire energizes the relay & it powers your low beams when on high beam. It's the perfect deal on Chevys, because when you do this to your truck, the plow lights are activated as well. For $5 bucks, you have double the light output on both truck & plow, and it really does make a difference! But if you try this with a double-filament bulb (high & lo in same bulb), you'll burn it right up,.. this only works safely on quad-style headlight systems. :salute:

plowing in 2006 (Custom).JPG

7. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Thanks for this.

Does the relay get installed next to the four relays that are under the hood? If so then which set of wires because there is a bundle of 16 wires there several hot with test light when in hi beam. Or put one relay in each light housing?

8. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I'd rather get more with what I already have.

9. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Thats hard to do when you don't have much to start with;)

10. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I can only speak on doing this on Chevy trucks, and the way I do it, is to tap this relay into the truck's wiring harness BEFORE it forks to each headlight. (on top of the driver's side fender well is perfect,... handy & only one wire leaving from the headlight switch). This way, it also affects the the plow when you switch over to the plow lights. If your truck does NOT have quad headlights, then you have to do this on the Boss light harness itself,.. NOT the truck's light harness,... and also before the harness forks to each side, so one wire will feed both sides. Since I haven't done it this way, I can't tell you exactly where or which wire is the correct one, but it should be too hard to find it. If this still seems a little confusing, or you don't clearly understand what you are trying to do (which may be because I'm not explaining it very well,...), you might be better off not doing this, or at least get someone who does, to help,.... rather than frying your headlight system,.. hope that helps,... :salute:

11. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Thanks for shedding some light on this. Makes sense to me I did it in my head last night.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

What's that supposed to mean?