1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hi and Low Loc

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Jan 22, 2006.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Today I noticed that I'm not able to shift my transfer case in to either Hi or Low Loc. It's been working fine until I tried it today. Any sugestion? This is a NP203 transfer case on a 1979 Chevy K10.

I don't have any problems shifting into low or back into high or into neutral. Strange....

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I would take the floor pan cover off and try to move the linkage by hand, maybe see what is happening. They will get crusty or gummed up and stick, but you can usually force it and free it up. If I remember correctly there is some adjustment in the linkage rods, but I couldnt tell you which way to go. I know that every time I put a body lift in one of those trucks it caused interference and prevented the lever from engaging either "loc" position, but it doesnt sound like that is the problem. It seems to me that the linkage is the most likely, but if it's internal it may be worn forks, or even a bad tranny mount. A bad tranny mount will let it drop a little, then your lever might interfere with the floor just as if the floor was raised by a body lift. That wont be hard to check out.

3. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Thanks....I did remove the floor cover and it all seemed to be ok. I was able to get it into low loc if I jammed it into position. Fortunately, I was it worked fine for me today when I had to plow. I think its getting time to rebuild...after all, it has over 200k on it.

Thanks again,
    Steve

4. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

on my 78' full time 4x4 truck it go in to hi loc easly but its hard to get it to low loc it go s to low just fine just is stiff from there. never really thought about doing anything about it so......