1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hi all; new to the site, looking for info on plowing.

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by JesterPgh, Jan 1, 2011.

1. JesterPgh

JesterPgh Junior Member

I'm not looking to get into anything commercial, but I would like to be able to do my driveway/parking area, and my parents driveway. My truck is more than up to the task, but I can't even begin to know what to start looking for along the lines of a plow setup. The truck is a 1997 F350 4x4 7.3 5 spd dually cab & chassis truck, 11,000lb gvwr, empty weight is 7,500lb. I know finding something used is likely going to be the least expensive route, but I don't want to end up getting something that I'm going to go broke fixing either. Where can I get the truck side equipment for this truck? Let's say I get the truck side equipment, are those proprietary to their own brand; i.e, if I get a "meyers" truck mount, do I have to get a "meyers" plow? Where's the best place to find used equipment? I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I guess that's all for now.

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Being it is a dually go with a plow of at least 8.5' wide. 9' would work well but depends how much clearance you have on your drive. Look in the springtime/summer for a complete used setup that is only a couple years old.

3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

If you get a MEYERS set up you don't have to use a meyers plow. BUT trying to match up the two components is going to be a royal pain, and will most likely require some fabricating to make it work. Also if you get a newer push and lift frame for the truck, then try buying an older plow you will have to customize the plow to make them work together. What I'm saying is if your serious about getting a plow don't try to be cheap. If you buy used, buy a complete setup that is made to fit your truck.

4. JesterPgh

JesterPgh Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. The more I read here, the more I learn. Thumbs Up

5. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

im doing all my research now so i am ready for next season. me myself i am keeping it small to residential only. i need experience and dont want to spend big bucks at this time.
    i went with snowblowers and next season ill get a jeep rubicon. slowly up grade from there.
    i will tell you one thing i learned is if you try to piece together a system you will regret it in the long run. see what dealer is closest to you and deal with them.

6. JesterPgh

JesterPgh Junior Member

I definitely don't want to try to cobble something together, I just don't want to spend several thousand bucks on a plow I don't intend to use for profit. I've already got the truck, and I do have a small back-blade I can use here, and have used before on an older SRW truck, but it won't cut it for going to my parents house to clear their drive.

7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sometimes you can find your best deals at the end of the season. Your local dealers may have used trade ins or even specials on new blades. Also, search Craigslist. As mentioned, it would be most cost effective to get a used system from a similar truck. You can buy a frame bracket or wire harness separately but plow companies seem to charge a lot for these parts purchased individually. Brackets can be in the $500 range. Wire harness can be $500. Hand held controllers can be up to $300. Where a new plow of course includes all this. The Buyer's SnowDogg snow plows seem to be one of the lower priced of new plows. As mentioned too you want to get the width of a plow that will cover the width of your vehicle when at full angle.