1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HHHHHUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE!!!!!!!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 3PLLC, Oct 23, 2007.

1. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

Needing to place bid on 370,000sq ft lot. Mostly open. I will need to salt. Any ideas on pricing sure would help. Thanks.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What kind of a lot is it? - obstacles, street lights, rough measurements is width/length etc

What kind of equipment do you have? Are you going to need to truck snow offsite or leave it? What kind of service will it require? (ie: storage facility or shopping center)

3. Acutabovesiny

Acutabovesiny Member

How will you price the job???
    -per push?
    -per storm?
    -per season?

4. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

snow will not need to be removed from site. There are about 7 islands and 20 pole lights. This is mostly an open area. Yes, the measurement is pretty much length * width ,for the most part. My question is based on the use of one pickup truck with 8'2 v-blade.

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

8+ acres with one truck.......I think you may be a little behind the 8-ball with this one......at 1 acre per hour per truck you are well over 8 hours....... and that is with a minimal snowfall......plus 4 tons of salt per app.....at a minimum.......

Better line up some subs.......

6. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

I figured about 6hrs to plow max. WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!! that much salt .......really?????????

7. Acutabovesiny

Acutabovesiny Member

i hope your not planning on billing by the hour. At leaste that much salt.

8. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

Ok....here's what i'm thinking. 1200.00 to plow and salt. Now i'll wait for the "DUDE YOUR TOO HIGH" OR "WHAT.... I WOULDN'T DO IT FOR TWICE THAT" :) :) :) :)

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How many plowings and saltings do you avg?

10. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

youre getting there i think, i charge for this building, which is 778000 sf, almost 18 acres.....its 4 tons of salt and with 2 trucks takes around 5 hours on a smaller snow....my usual bill is around 1450-1700 depending if i come back to salt more or not

good luck, that dosent seem to bad, salt is what jacks the price fast....make sure youre getting 150-180 a ton put down plus spreader truck time of 100 an hr or so

arial.jpg

21121.jpg

new1.JPG

new2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  11. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

Nice Reply.....Thanks a bunch. I figured I was close,,,,but wow-I was way off in salt. I have always plowed small lots, nothing large like this, and i was thinking somewhere around 800lbs of salt. Stupid me.

12. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

maybe its just me but bulk spreading is different than tailgate spreading with bagged salt, i used to do commerce banks and with the bulk i could never get away without doing a half a ton if not 3/4 ton (1000-1500 pounds) out of the v box.....yet when id bag apply with the other truck out of the tailgate spreader id do a decent melt job with 10-14 bags (50 pounders....so is 500-700 pounds total) just my opinion, has anyone else ever noticed that? id close my chute on the spreader more but end up with clogs cause of the salt rocks i get all the time

13. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

a tailgate spreader is what i planned on using, maybe that's why our calculations are dramatically different. i figured 12000 sq ft per 100lbs YES?NO

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Is this the only job you are going to have lined up?

15. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

no, i started plowing last year. I have 25 solid accounts for this year....but if this goes through, then i will probably drop several

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I think if you plan on taking this on by yourself you should look into renting a pc of equipment with a pusher on it and save the PU for the clean up.

Time wise you will not keep to many happy customers by taking on to much.

A place like that is going to expect you to have it done before the first guy that makes the coffee gets there and during the day if it snows to have the paths out of the lot cleared before the end of the day and a total plow at night.

What happens when your plow breaks or truck is down?

Sounds like it is a good lot to get just make sure you make yourself look good in the end or word of mouth could kill ya in the future.

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

And,

I don't know the prices down by you but by me that lot would not be under $3k a push /salting at a minimum.

18. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

Yah....it's a struggle. I'm not sure what price to go with...My gut tells me $1800.00, but who knows. I like to get $135 an hour, so even if it take me 6-7 hours i still make out at my earlier post of 1200.00. !3000.00....possibly if more than 6 inches

19. dmontgomery

I always price salt based on 20 lbs, per 1000 sq ft., I also include a clause that states it can be more if conditions warrant more salt.... That works well for me around here....

20. dmontgomery

I price at < 6", ( 1 push)

6" up to 12" (2 pushes)

and > 12" (3 pushes)( this is very rare here.....)

Derek