1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by streetzstylz, Aug 15, 2002.

1. streetzstylz

streetzstylz Junior Member

I am looking for a good truck around $8000 i can go more but i would like it to be there or cheaper thats with out the plow of course if any one would give me some ideas of what kind of truck and miles that would be good for around that area for plowing please give me some info thank you i hope to hear from you guyz soon Later
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I stopped on my way home today and checked out a truck and plow for sale - '87 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton with 8' Speedcaster Fisher plow. Probably the same age as the truck. Lots of new parts including an engine rebuild, new transmission, 100 amp alternator and so on. Plow is rusty. $5800. Let me know when you're coming and I'll arrange to meet you in South China, Maine.:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2002
  3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

i just bought my brothers pick up truck off him for $7,000, with 7 1/2ft western uni mount pro plow. hes the original owner and its a 1992 Chevy 1500 series regular cab shortbed, 350 motor, auto trans. truck is in excellent condition. never hit or in accident. no dents or anything, just a few scratches here and there, but it is 11 years old and has been plowed with over those 11 years. truck has many many new parts. new rebuilt trans by a place that is the best in my area, new rebuilt rear made into a posi unit, new radiator, new upper and lower hoses, thermostat and gasket, new antifreeze, new water pump, new front brakes and rotors, new starter, battery, alternator, new sway bar end links, new windshield, new rear brakes and wheel cylinders, new exhaust, just been completely tuned up b4 i bought it, new universals in front shaft and driveshaft, oh also got a new inatke gasket a few months back. truck needs nothing, in tip top shape. just giving u an idea of what to look for and types of repairs u may end up doing if u buy something that wasnt taken care of. of course i got a pretty good deal cause i bought it from my brother and not a stranger. oh i forgot to tell the mileage, just hit 100,000 when i bought it. but the way this truck was taken care of and has had a million oil changes, i see no problem in getting another 100k out of it. Mike
  4. streetzstylz

streetzstylz Junior Member

is this one ok?

do you think a 94' ford f-150 4x4 (110,000 miles) would be good for a plow job? i know the guy that has owned its been in no accidents and has had all oil changes and what not and hasnt been used as a plow
  5. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

Street- I know some guys here may disagree, but I am speaking from experience- stay away from the 1/2 ton trucks for plowing. I had an identical truck, a 93 F-150. These trucks are just not made to take this kind of abuse. Also, If you ever want to carry any weight, it won't be very much. Like I have said in another post, the truck never let me down, but I began to put ridiculous amounts of money into the truck to repair things that were going wrong because it's not made for hauling or plowing. It was cheaper for me to make payments on a new truck. I think for 8K you can get a pretty solid 3/4 or 1 ton truck. One thing I've learned in the landscaping business, always buy stronger or heavier than you think you'll need now, because down the road, you will need it! Good luck to you. Mike
  6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

if i was in the market for a BRAND NEW truck, i wouldnt get a 1/2 ton again, but not because it has ever let me down, i would get something bigger and meaner just cause i like the looks better, haha. this truck we have has been used for plowing the last 11 years and never let us down. i think if all your gonna do is driveways or small parking lots, 1/2 ton is plenty strong. im just judging by our experiences with our 1/2 ton truck. our particular chevy 1500 came very heavy duty from the factory. it sits up higher than other 1500s i see and it came with way bigger tires than other 1500s from the factory. it came with 265/75-16 tires. thats pretty big for a smaller truck. Mike