1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Truck guys have an important ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys Im looking at buying a 2001 F-450 with a Diesel but its 2wd, do 2wds do that bad in the snow for plowing? It has a dump bed on it! Thanks

2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

It's dual wheeled, so it goes pretty good, make sure there's weight in it though.

Most single axle Internationals/Macks are two wheel drive, the NHDOT uses all 2wd trucks and we get deep snow. And they are equipped with front AND wing plows.

I know a lot of people who use 2wd 1-ton trucks, and just throw some sand in the back for extra weight, and they plow fine.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 99 3500HD Chev. We have plowed with it since new. We have a 9' Western pro with an EZ8 or slide in, we have both. You have to send the truck out with material in the back, we usually have it full. The only time we got it stuck was when the driver missed the roadway by 40' in 12" of snow. One night we plowed one of the schools and it had to be a 12" sonwfall and it did great. These HD's are only in 2wd. I would say you would have no problems if you have weight in it.

4. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I've plowed up to 12" with mine. Didn't like much after that, but it can be done. It wasn't so much plowing with it that woried me, it was going from job to job on the unplowed streets that always had me on edge for getting stuck.

5. Craftybigdog

Hey Brian did you see that Accuweather prediction for us? Looks good.

6. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

yea. I'm likin' what I read. No word on the developments yet huh? Finnally found a good set of drums for my rear. Made a light bar today. I'll post some pics when I take the pictures.

7. Craftybigdog

Cool, no word yet. I wish they would move on something fast. They are trying to get aleast 3 bids a development. Man if we get nailed are you gonna be able to get up here? Im looking for another truck, I dont know what yet I looked at an 05 F-350 but it was 43000.00 so I dont know if I get another one I will put Amy to work!

8. Craftybigdog

9. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Yea, I'll be able to get up there. Just as long as there is the 8 hr window you were talking about to start them. I hate to leave them too long because it's no fun plowing snowpack. I'm not taking some of the ones I had last year. Plus I'm not going to jump on the PNC banks, the churchs or Dover Housing athority (sp?) Although DHA is all roads. Its in the bad part of town.

10. Craftybigdog

Yeah if I get the contracts I will let them know. Did you go to that meeting you were talking about?

11. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Yea, it was for the housing authority. Real bad parts of town. Only wanted streets done. I would bid on them but I commited to you first. But.... they didn't have manhole covers to wory about.....

12. Craftybigdog

Man and do I hate those manhole covers!

13. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

BTW, thats a nice truck. Good buy now price too. But it doesn't have a plow. Are you looking for something now or just looking for ideas in the spring?

14. Craftybigdog

I dont know, I would like that one and then a 10' Boss V-plow. It all just takes money.

15. Craftybigdog, if you'd still like input on the truck;

I run a 01 c3500 dually with dump bed. When I first set up the plow on it, the other guys out here made fun of me. They all assumed that they would be pulling me out everytime it snowed. Well, It couldn't have gone any sweeter, I have not gotten stuck (yet). However, I can tell you that I have pulled out many of the other trucks. One thing to remember is that typically with a dump bed, it is usually loaded with salt, thus making your truck alot heavier than the others. That in combination with safe driving has proven very profitable for me. \

Last year, here in the Midwest, we had gotten 3 ice storms. Ice, as you know is very tricky to drive on, expecially with snow on top. during one of the bad storms, I was the only rig on the road (out of 5) that was able to get around, due to the weight.

Hope this helps :yow!:

16. Craftybigdog

Thats to cool Midwest, thanks!