1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Tom, did she buy a Sno-Way?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by grandview, Mar 12, 2008.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sno-Way has a dealer where she bought it.

Angry Woman Buys Plow, Clears Own Street
    By The Canadian Press
    Print This Story E-Mail This Story Save This Story

LAVAL, Que. — A Quebec woman frustrated by lack of snow removal service on her street has taken matters into her own hands.

Dimitra Provias bolted a $4,000 plow to the front of her SUV this winter after trucks in Laval, Que., repeatedly ignored her crescent and left it buried in snow.

Provias and her husband, Peter Spindler, have been clearing their road ever since.

"We bought a snowplow because the city of Laval has literally forgotten about us," Provias said over the weekend in front of her triplex on Gibbon Street circle.

"I don't even think we exist on a map for them because we never get to see a snowplow in here. It's been so bad that even an ambulance can't get in here."

She said a municipal snowplow has only cleared her road once this year - in December.

This winter has been a particularly white one in their community north of Montreal.

With close to 300 centimetres to hit the ground since the start of the season, the region is inching towards an all-time record of 383 for one winter, Environment Canada meteorologist Andre Cantin said.

And March is barely underway, Cantin noted.

Meanwhile, local councillor Alexandre Duplessis said city plows can't navigate the circle because citizens park their vehicles on both sides of the street, which violates a bylaw.

"People really aren't giving our machines any help," Duplessis said.

"It's the only (crescent) in my district that is problematic and there must be 30 or 40."

But as co-owner of a school bus company, Provias doesn't buy it.

"I drive a 72-seater (school) bus and I can wing this thing in here without a problem," she said.

Provias, who estimates she paid $309 in taxes this year for snow clearing, also claims residents are quick to move their cars when a plow approaches.

She said the Gibbon circle has been neglected by the city for a long time and this season's early bombardments were just too much.

The couple found a good deal on a plow in Plattsburgh, N.Y., and drove down to have it installed.

"This year, definitely it's been worth it," she said.

"Mind you, we're out $4,000, but no, it has definitely been worth it for us and for our sanity - really, for everybody's sanity in here."

The purchase has also given their standing a boost in the neighbourhood, which Provias described as "tight knit."

"We're very grateful and appreciate that they're actually doing this," said neighbour Bill Koufalis.

"We have been calling the city, complaining about the service and they have not been doing anything about it."

While the community plow has calmed the concerns of residents, some were uneasy to learn the couple is planning to spend a few days tubing in the mountains with their kids.

"I hope it doesn't snow around here on spring break because I think the neighbours will be devastated if we're not around," she said.

With the long-range forecast calling for more precipitation, residents would like the Provias-Spindler family vacation to be brief.

"We're hoping that there's not much snow," said Koufalis, who lives a couple of doors down the circle.

"Or else we'll really be calling the city quite frequently."

Monday, March 3, 2008

Post your comments on this story on the Snow Magazine Online Message Board

Force America
  2. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

sounds like a go getter, wonder how much she does laundry and cleans a house for?
  3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

LOL, crazy ppl
  4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

wait until she hits one of those parked cars....
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wat wud u do if ur street didnt get plowed.....
  6. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Can't say I blame her, I pay for snow removal (Park County Road & Bridge Tax) and they don't plow our development so I had to either buy the plow so we could get out and go to work or let it snow and rely on chains and snowshoes which means I would sell the house. The only one I don't plow is the main road coming in because 90% of the residents own only a Screwbaru or other low car and they feel it's my responsibility to plow them out since their cars can't make it and they have never asked nicely just tried to order me to do it. I drive through blade up, chained since it's a flat grade and the only way it would stop a truck is if there was 3'+ of snow.
  7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i know what i would do. id drive over it just like i have to do to service all my people. the reason that everybody in my family bought 4wheel drive if they needed to get somewhere. I think any person who dosent have 4 wheel drive is nuts. and during the summer they think i am nuts. i dont care if my trailer or truck sinks during a rainy season around here i wanna know i can get out. and this lastweekend we stuck both trucks up top this nasty driveway we do. calld 6 wrecker companys all of them said good luck. one stopped the guys said ur freakin nuts i am not going up there. i did get my truck out thou and then we got my couzins out. cost us sometime but o well
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You don't live on a road:nono:, it's an amusment ride:nod::D:waving:
  9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Excellent analogy Basher. I like it.
  10. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

isnt that the truth
  11. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

As soon as I get some free time I'm gonna make 2 matching signs. 1 for the top and 1 for the bottom. Both double black diamonds, my neighbors will get a kick out of that. Don't know how many times I've gone down the hill with the blade down, downforce on and 1 axle chained in 1st gear starting out at 5MPH and ending up around 30MPH while the tires are still doing 5MPH. The only benefit to being 23' long is the rear end doesn't get squirrely and try to pass me, I just go in a straight line right down to the bottom.
  12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

That's one of those rides you do once....never again
  13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly! That woman is gonna get By- Lawed for pushing snow onto city property ( city snow banks) then she will cry to the court on why she has to pay a $ 130 ticket. Second that woman has no clue on how to snowplow. She probly reves it up to a snow bank while hittin the gas & moving the gears at the same time. CRACK = broken tranny! :dizzy: :eek:
  14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I could care less it gets packed down by all the cars anyways.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

16. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

Something struck me funny....
    Maybe only a crazy American would notice this.... but - up there - wouldn't it be "centimetering towards an all-time record" ????
  17. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

LMAO :D

Great Catch :salute: