1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey straight blade guys, why did you choose Blizzard?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by 66 BADBOY, Feb 27, 2008.

1. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Hey straight blade guys, why did you choose Blizzard over Boss?

I have my two choices of plows down to Blizzard 760HD and Boss Super Duty 7'6". I am currently leaning toward the Boss. I saw both in person, and they both looked good, but the Blizzard really looked like a brute. Real nice clean piece. It came down to this:

Blizzard 760HD.

Pros- Big, beefy, quality looking piece, continuous welds, 1 3/4" angle rams, heavier than the Boss (good for backdragging), taller than the Boss, joystick option at no cost, dealer stocked parts, open on storms (although too far away to matter to me)

Cons- Small time kinda dingy shop with stuff laying everywhere (plows were crammed in backroom), 55 minutes away, counter not open Saturdays (but someone is there here and there on Saturdays doing stock work), 1 year warranty, light bar stays on truck, no spring trip shock absorber offered, 12 ga moldboard.

Boss SuperDuty 7'6"

Pros - quality looking piece, 11 ga moldboard, 2 year warranty, shock absorber on spring trip, light bar stays on plow when plow is off truck, lighter than the Blizzard (easier on truck), dealer open every Saturday, 40 minutes away, BIG dealership with lots of experience and stock.

Cons - 11/2" angle rams, draws 80 more amps than Blizzard, Joystick is extra $200 or more.

The Boss doesn't really have anything that jumps out and says its better than the rest. Its just a plow. But then again, that's really all that matters. And although there are more cons listed with the Blizzard, I just have a gut feeling it is a better piece for some reason. But when I look at the +/-, it seems Boss is the way to go. So I'm wondering why did you guys go with Blizzard? PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!!! I don't want to have a thread full of Boss bashing. Just honest answers please!!

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. Big Papi

Big Papi Junior Member

I was torn between a boss/blizard for my jeep also. I do have a blizzard 810 and to tell you the truth I think I am going with the boss. I have had some problems with my 2006 blizzard and therefore feel I have to have a backup. Years ago when I had fisher & western plows you never had to worry about breakdowns till after 5-6 years. Times change I guess so I'm getting a boss 7' sport duty. Good luck with your decision.

3. Chris S.

Chris S. Junior Member

Well first of all you like how heavy one is and how like how light the the other one is. Which is better? Heavier is better if you ask me. When plowing a big wet snow the plow is less like to get forced up the accumlating snow out in front of it, back drags and scrapes better. The blizzard is heavier duty, even though the moldboard is thinner, its is reinforced better and the frame is stronger. I always found the lights being separate from the plow makes it easier to store. I roll my plow under a work bench in the garage and hang the lights on the wall. I have owned 3 different blizzard plows so far and have been happy with reliability, no matter which you brand you buy it is always possiable to have mechanical failure big or small. When I first got my blizzard, I liked be one of few guys in town with a white plow, now it seems there are just as many blizzards as the other brands. Chances are you will be happy with either one but I have been sold on bizzard plows since they came to my area 9 years ago.

4. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Yeah, the weight thing I know would help push/pull snow, but I was thinking also about the extra weight banging around. BUT..... I will probably be taking the plow off a lot because it is going on my daily driver truck. So that means I wouldn't have to worry about the weight banging around. But that also leads to why I'm apprehensive about the light bar staying on the truck..... one more thing to take off every time I do it. And of course, I have to weigh in the dealership factor too.

I guess I'm looking for the perfect plow..... which to me would be a Blizzard blade and A-frame but with trip spring shocks, a light bar that stayed on the plow (but could maybe come off the plow too for storage), and also have a mounting system like the MM2 from Fisher or Snow Dogg's mounting system (manual mount = on/off even if hydraulics fail). THAT to me would be the perfect plow.

I still have a few months to think about it, so I guess I have some time to sort it all out.

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

so why dont you buy a fisher or western?
    and yeah. where is the fisher choice in this?
    I have looked at blizzards too. i Like the looks of them.Havent bought one though. Just like the looks of them.

6. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I have a few different plows, but in time they all will be Blizzard. I doesn't bother me that my dealer is 60 miles from me either. Ill make the drive for the quality product. The weight of the Blizzards are a big plus in my book. 2 years ago I had a 760LT on a ford F150 a Buick Regal decided to find out just how tough the Blizzards are. I got nailed and tought for sure I was out a plow, I got out and all there was was a minor scratch. I thought for sure there was something that had to be wrong so I looked it over at the shop and not a thing. Blizzard plows a built tough. If I would have had a Meyer....I'd have been replacing my plow.

7. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

The two closest Fisher dealers (both 45 minutes away) are never open on Saturdays, and one was WAY high priced.

Western.... I don't know. Pricing is part of it. But I just feel there are better plows out there. Just kind of a hunch I guess.

I agree, the Blizzards look awesome, and they look like a VERY tough design. I like their higher end sides on the straight blades. Their ram/cylinder setup looks downright indestructible. That extra 1/4" makes a HUGE difference on appearance, and I would assume also on strength.

I just talked to another Boss dealer today. Closer than the first one, and just as big, but not open on Saturdays. But they have better prices. $3937 for the 8'0" Super Duty, installed.

The 760HD from Blizzard was quoted at $4000 installed.

Decisions, decisions....

8. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Just watched the video on the Speedwing on the Blizzard site, I didn't know the wings could be locked in place to act as a straight blade. Kinda cool!!

9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

HUH? you say you have done research on a Blizzard but didnt know about the wings?

i don't know why saturday parts is a big deal to you, if you only plan on plowing between the hours of 8-5 mon-sat you are getting in the WRONG buisness. the only thing that goes wrong on a plow is controler,solonoind and every 20 years maybe a pump.

with that being said i own SEVERAL plows of all different makes without ANY dealer within 100miles from me and i don't worry too much about it

back to the origional Q' i would choose the blizzard for a few reason's and one of witch is the power-hitch, it is the easiest thing in the world to hook up and the lights, who cares leave them on the truck you'll have a switch on the side of the controller that will switch between truck lights and plow lights without leaving the seat of the truck

the thing i dont like about the blizzard is the joystick (because it is a stationary mount) and i hold the hand-held controller in my right hand and shift with my left hand.

if you are doing resi's you may check out the hiniker "C" plow, picture belowhttp://www.hiniker.com/snow_products/hp_cplow.html

or maybe even the sno-way(how bout it Tobby4492) that has down pressure (witch is youre best option)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  10. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Yup. I've researched plows through and through.... STRAIGHT BLADE plows. The SW never really looked like it would be for me because I have to back blade up by my garage doors, so I never looked into them. I didn't know they could be locked until tonight when I was bored and checked them out online. Just made a comment about them, thats all. Locking/unlocking them would get old. So I guess I'll stick with a straight blade and a Saturday dealer because I'm not getting into the wrong business.... actually I'm not getting into any business at all. Just my house, and my parents place. I work a full time job, 7 to 3:30 everyday. So if I have trouble one night, by time I get home from work and get set to leave, it'll be 4:00. Almost a one hour drive gets me there right at their closing time of 5:00. That means parts/service runs = vacation time off work. So Saturday is a big deal to me.

The Hiniker C? Just to prove I've researched plows, why would it be great for residentials? What do you do about those whips banging on the garage doors when its flipped forward? (not shown in your pic, but in the site video.... notice how they didn't do it in front of a closed garage door?)

The Sno Way DP is nice, but after reading the Sno Way forum, (and for a few other reasons I won't get into) I'm not sold on their setup.

So its Boss or Blizzard. I just wish I could get either of them with a manual mounting system. I'd like to be able to get them on/off the truck even if there is some kind of failure. That's the reason I'm kinda looking at Snow Dogg.

Thanks for the insight.

11. powerjoke

.i was not being argumentative(just ask anyone) although it seems hard to believe. but if you want agression i am full of it.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Common misconception on the Boss's...

You can still remove a Boss manually if you need too, even if you experience a power failure with the Smart Hitch. :nod:

13. powerjoke

well.....yea bu you have to be fair to blizzard too.

all you have to do to a blizzard in a pump failure is 2 pins and crack a hydro line

BTW if the powerunit is inoporable wouldn't you need to take it to the garage and fix it anyway's

it sound's like this guy need's a meyer's if he is woried about stuff like that and only has his place and his ma&pa's

and i am not bashing meyer's as i have a couple of them too

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ya,ya are....[​IMG]
    [​IMG].________________.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  15. Big Papi

Big Papi Junior Member

My choice for boss is due to the dealer being close by - 12 minutes vs 35 minutes for fisher/western. My blizzard dealer is also 15 minutes but I'm sorry I will not buy another blizzard.

16. Big Papi

Big Papi Junior Member

Once again its a debate over 2 different plows. I am with you here all the way. Like I said I was debating between blizzard/boss. People jump in and say how about this brand or that brand, well, read the first thread he askes about blizzard or boss!! Most guys that have blizzard plows have backup plows. I found myself that with a blizzard you need a backup plow. My 2006 blizzard has been in the shop 3 of the last 3 storms. First I had the left cylinder replaced, than the right cylinder replaced than the PUMP failed. Some think a pump should last 20 years.......well .......do yourself the favor buy the boss.

17. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

When it comes to reliability there are all about the same. Big Pap, it sounds to me like you just have bad support in the way of the dealer. One thing that I have found with being in this kind of business, landscaping, plowing, contractor... In order to be successful you need to be mechanically inclined. If you don't have a clue how the thing works and what could be wrong with it, don't buy it, use it, and go find a guy to work for. The Blizzard that I have has been more that reliable. That being said I did bend a wing one of the first times out. If it were me I'd want the most productive plow I can get for the job. If it's commercial, or HOAs the speedwing and 810 type plows are the best. Buy what you can get GOOD support for. Just because the dealers shop is no good doesn't mean anything! Being that we are all members of this site Blizzard owners have a great friend to support us in Jerre. Last If I was not doing commercial sites, and doing driveways (which is ok for some, just not were I live) I would buy the snowway with DP. Just my 2 cents.

18. Big Papi

Big Papi Junior Member

Let me say that when I did have a problem and posted I did not get an answer from anyone let alone Jerre. Maybe you have to be in the Loop for all that support. I have been doing plowing/landscape for 19 years. I have all sorts of equipment, and service and fix them all. I DO NOT have all the spare parts needed for my last 3 repairs. If I had the parts and a WARM garage I would fix them myself. Who has spare cylinders and a spare pump for a 1 1/2 year old plow?? How many new spare parts like that do you have hanging around? Have you ever tried Boss? There is no way I would by a SW.

19. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Big Papi, Seems kinda funny of your 8 posts here none of them mention help with this problem. I believe on the other site where you posted the request it was not for help in solving a problem per se but what else to expect. Was kinda in a whining manner if I remember. I believe that Mark Oomkes and I both responded in that thread to you.

IMO since you were up and running again it was not a serious issue to deal with at that time and when I checked back it had been answered. I could be all wet.....have been before.......but that's what I found.

J

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  20. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Thanks for chiming in Big Papi. I think when the time comes to get a plow, I'll be joining you in red. Just trying to have a decent conversation and find out the good sides of Blizzard's straight plow, and I end up getting ripped on. Maybe that is a sign some people don't have anything good to say? I dunno.

Anyways, I can't believe some people get so worked up about plow brands. C'mon people, take a pill. Sheesh.