1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Skidsteer owners I have a quick ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys, Im up to 10 developments now and I was looking at getting a skidsteer for intersections and culdasacs. Do they really save time and are they worth the investment? Thanks alot

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

You may be better with a small wheel loader.

3. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

If you have use for one year round, then I would say that it would be worth the investment. If you only plan on using one for snow removal, I don't think it would be a worthy investment. Too much money to have sitting for 8 or 9 months out of the year. If its something that you think you need, you could look into leasing or renting each year, but then again, after so many years, you could have afforded to pay for it. Its up to you, but if you can't find work for it the remaining months of the year, I wouldn't think it would be worthwhile.

4. tom 300

tom 300 Junior Member

If these developements are residental a skid loader could be handy to pile snow out of the way to keep the parking at a maximum.They can alos be very handy if you are doing sidewalk work around these places as well.Can also use it in the summer time for dirt or gravel work for others so it can be in use all year not just the winter.

5. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Always look for the most versatile machine for you, what are you going to be doing the other months out of the year...Maybe a skidsteer is perfect for you or maybe a backhoe with front bucket would be a better machine year round...Just try to get your moneys worth, seen to many guys buy a machine n not have a use for it. Skidsteers are great for hardscapes, movin pallets and sand or stone.

Jeff

6. Craftybigdog

I have a lawncare business during the summer, so the uses are limitless. As for the developments they are large. One has 2.5 miles of road and 12 culdasacs. Thats alot of back and forth with a truck.

7. Craftybigdog

Does anyone own a john

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a new Jonh Deere 325.

9. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

We run a JD 310E machine 4x4, look into mustang manufacturing. We run there 2109 skidsteer, awesome machine, I operate it during the storms, we have a 10ft Pro-Tech on it. Plowed maybe 10 hours with it through that last snow storm thing was awesome....only used a half tank of diesel. In the summer its great for hardscapes, use it to move pallets of block n pavers around mostly.

Jeff

10. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

2 john deere skids, snow bucket and a 8ft meyer straight blade. changed the rims and tires to a e-load all terrain truck tire. Works fantastic!!! :) :) :)

11. whitetail

whitetail Junior Member

I have a 465 unit town house development with 14 dead end courts. We use a skid steer with an 8ft. Fisher powerangle straight blade to do most of the plowing in this development. For dead ends and cul-de-sacs I don't think you can beat the speed. To be able to turn 180 degrees and start pushing snow again takes only a second. Much faster than backing up or turning a vehicle around. We also load an 8' snow pusher and regular bucket on the trailer so the operator can switch between the attachment that suits the conditions. The best option that you can get on a skid steer is the 2-speed option, followed closely by HEAT. (you can always put more clothes on but the machine only goes so fast) I am about an hour from Smyrna towards Baltimore. If you would like to see the plow set-up and are in this area PM me and I will give you contact Information.