1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Ontario guys.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TOFireguy, Jan 27, 2009.

1. TOFireguy

TOFireguy Junior Member

So entering into the industry mid way through the season, it's obvious that the only work that I'll likely be focusing on getting at this time is Sub work.

So in Ontario, whats an average rate I should be looking at getting paid per hour/ push ect, having a 2008 truck and brand new Western MVP Plus plow? (was told by someone newer vehicles and plows are more reliable and may result in a higher pay rate)

Thanks for your input!

Dave.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It will really depend on your expeirence but I would say somewhere between $70-$100 depending on where your plowing and for who. Your screen name leads me to beleive your a firemen, so you won't be available all the time.

3. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Also depends on things like what kind of insurance do you carry? Do you have your own shovellers, do you carry WSIB on them? Are you insured for commercial or only residential? Can you salt?

Price wise ~ whats the going rate for standard driveways? Whats the going rate for commercial lots?

Lots of things to research and consider.....

JMO

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He said he has a truck and plow and wants to sub, insurance is a valid question but he said nothing about a sidewalk shoveler or salting. Most big comapanies hire subs to plow not salt. JMO

5. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Just stating my opinion because most larger companies have lined up their subs allready, best bet is gonna be finding sub work with the smaller guys who may have had someone quit or breakdown or just took on more work then they can handle.

:nod:

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

After the winter we've had lots of companies will be looking for good subs, look in the paper the adds run from Nov1 untill March 15th. :drinkup:

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

After the winter we've had lots of companies will be looking for good subs, look in the paper the adds run from Nov1 untill March 15th. :drinkup: Oh and you never said what a good wage was assuming he has insurance.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

$62.50 / hour plowing with your truck and insurance... that what my buddies pay

9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Around here $90 is the going rate. And whatever you do, dont take the bumper off your truck, they get paid less! :D

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

WOW im in the wrong area of town... even tho i dont sub, but thats crazy money for a truck!

Where are you guys from??? all the cool guys run with no bumpers :cool: didnt you know that :D and Jeff your wrong, we get paid even more $, cause our trucks can breath better, heck, half the snow I clear gets cleaned by my exhaust pipe, I dont even drop the blade :D

11. Lynden-Jeff

lol next thing you know Ill see you driving around with speed holes in your hood LOL

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

In some situations you are going to have a very productive plow. Area where snow needs to be taken to a certain spot. On wide open lots you would be the same as a straight blade. One of my subs from last year is getting $90/hr doing driveways as a sub. IMO driveways are harder on a truck then commercial lots but that is good money. Are you a Toronto FF on 24 hr. shifts?

13. TOFireguy

TOFireguy Junior Member

Yes thats correct.

My insurance broker finally got back to me and I couldn't believe how high the insurance costs are in this industry. He told me it was going to cost somewhere around $8000.00 + to be able to do subs in my truck. :dizzy: That is on top of my regular vehicle insurance. he explained to me that if I had three years of insured plowing experience it would be somewhere around $1600.00 and that the concern is that I'm going to smash into things in parking lots. I couldn't help but throw in the reminder to him that I drive million dollar fire trucks through the downtown core in rush hour traffic to emergency's without a problem. (ya I know two different things but I think plowing the parking lot slightly less difficult - no offense intended)

Does that sound reasonable to you guys?

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That price is flat out nuts. I pay $3.34/$1,000 of work. Now this is my 21st year but still that is nuts. Mine also cover's slip and falls which is the largest risk.

Any thing small we hit we just pay for it or fix it. Last year was 4 sign posts that the loader bent and fix the bottom of 1 portable that the guy pushed snow against. Most things you hit you loose and they are fine. Concrete post, corners of buildings, garbage bins and stuff like that.

15. Lynden-Jeff

Thats bull, even me being a young (22y/o) first year plower, I was paying 4000/truck and 2300 liability for my entire company. Your in Toronto, try Sinclair and Cockburn insurance, they specialize in landscape trades.

Cheers

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's your liability insurance as a whole but don't you pay increased prices on your trucks that plow over the ones that don't?

17. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I Have SC but don't qualify for the traditional Landscape package because I'm new to the biz

$7300 truck with no plow, 1 accident
    $1250 CGL, no snow/fert

I love it:realmad::gunsfiring::dizzy:

18. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I have one ton dually s that sit all winter there no difference in cost between the ones that plow and those trucks that only go on the road in the summer

19. Lynden-Jeff

Join landscape ontario, then you will!. I was 1200 before plowing for CGL. 7300 is crazy, must be the accident, even before plowing I was only around 3000 with 1 accident.

20. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

He's saying that but in relative terms, a $2000/yr truck would be (example) $2500/yr with plow coverage. Yes, you pay for 12 months regardless.