1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey man want to buy my business?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by B-2 Lawncare, Aug 5, 2015.

1. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

So here's how it went down. We were out mowing, and the owner of another snow removal business stopped. We've never been friendly and I wasn't sure what he wanted.
    He litally just asked if I wanted to buy his business. I can't say that I am surprised that he is trying to sell out. His rates are to low and his equipment is all junk. "6 broke down old trucks" I am sure that he is in the hole after this last winter and our lack of snow. Ive been told that he paid $80,000 for the business. I asked what he wanted for it and he could give me a number. He just said he didn't want much for it. I asked what kind of contracts he had and just said seasonal?
    He only has two clients that I want. last year he took one of my commercial account's with low~ball offer.They were a huge pain in my ass. And i dont want them back.So game on at this point.Well there is no point or question to this thread, I just wanted to share the story.
  2. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Just wait him out and when he goes under from not making any profit you might just get his accounts for free.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell him no thanks and then give him a number of one of your "real" competitors
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

So, did you talk to Birdseed for very long ?:dizzy:
  5. grandview

I would of walked away at hello:drinkup:
  6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

$5000. You get the trucks, sanders, shovels, snowblowers, clients.
  7. 160SR

160SR Junior Member
    from nh

Plus 10 year non-compete agreement minimum.
  8. grandview

Along with thousands in repair bills. Can't stop Simone from earning a living non compete Claire are mostly used for interlettural work.
  9. 160SR

160SR Junior Member
    from nh

Who is Simone? Do you even know what a non-compete agreement is?
    Key word: Agreement
    Hint: It is not to stop someone from making a living.
  10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I could be wrong but a non compete clause won't hold up in court for our industry but a specifics non compete clause will
    State they can't do work for the customers you just bought from him for 5 years
    He can go back into business but can't go after your new customer that were his
    I now do this with my for men encase they start their own companies
  11. grandview

I hate this tablet.looks then when you hit the reply button it changes the word.:realmad:

You might get him to sign something that he won't go after his old customers but not from starting a new snow plow company
  12. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

He's going to have a hard time selling it, I bet he can't get it done by winter and he either doesn't plow at all. Or he will give it a half ass effort like he did this last year.
    Either way should be fun to watch.
  13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Why not buy it at your price
    Make it cheap enough that' when u raise the prices and people drop you you are still ahead of the game
    Like you said you are not friends so give him an insulting price that is a win for u
  14. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

non compete is much different when you are purchasing a company. 5-10 years is the average and you would be a fool not to have that in the contract.

non compete for employees can range from just your customers to not competing with a certain mileage of your business to a time frame or even not going to work for your competition.

Its all in how you have it written by the lawyer.