1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey guys

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 06dmax, Dec 6, 2010.

1. 06dmax

06dmax Member

Hey all, I'm scott and live in maine. I'm still in highschool. I've been plowing with dad for the past few years and am looking to get into the plowing and lawncare business and create a year round business for myself. I know it will be a lot of hard work but i'm not afraid to put the work and hours in to make it work. I have a few driveways that i plow for family friends but no real acounts. Just looking for some tips and pointers. Thanks.

2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Welcome Scott, I myself am new here too but i do have some experience at this plowing thing. Advice i would give you? Hmmm, well you have a good rig and plow to start with so i will say do not beat your equipment, do the proper maintenance, do a clean thorough job with a good price and do not expect to get rich doing this.

3. 06dmax

06dmax Member

thanks, i'm not looking to get rich just make a little extra cash and start building up my business

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

gonna be tough to be in school and try to be availabe at all hours to plow snow
    good luck
    search button is your friend

5. 06dmax

06dmax Member

thanks, and luckily i have a few friends who also plow that can use my truck while im in school if needed.

6. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

:eek: Keep in mind that no one treats your equipment like you do.

7. PPS. inc

PPS. inc Member
    from Earth

just quit.....

8. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Finish HS then go to college. If you want to do the landscape thing, go to school for landscape design or an engineering degree that relates to landscaping. Business management degree would be nice as well.

Nothing wrong with good hard work, but the closer you get to retirement age, the more you will wish that you are working with your head and not your back.

9. lukynskywyrd

lukynskywyrd Member
    from wisc.

could not have said it better myself!!!!

Im not saying college is for everyone, there are alot of successful folks who didnt go. Its a tough business, listen to your folks, work hard and put a little $ away each week. Good luck young Skywalker!......you are too young to know that reference!!!!!

10. 06dmax

06dmax Member

thanks for the welcomes and idea's. I'm also currently going to a tech school that is an option through our high school to obtain my CDL. I'm not much on the college idea but am going to look into, and i'm saving up all the money i can and i'm a tightwad when it comes to buying things i dont need

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I learned more at college than just what was taught in class. I wouldn't trade it for the world....great times.

12. 06dmax

06dmax Member

also i was thinking about going to see one of the local construction guys who plows during the winter and see if he needs help this winter to get a better idea of what everythings about

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Have you looked into Washington County Comunity College? I'm going to be doing the Heavy Equipment Operations program next year. It's nice to se another Maina' on hear.

14. 06dmax

06dmax Member

Yeah, we went on a tour there this year through the tech center it seems to be a decent place and its small its on the top of my list for schools

15. LoganMozingo

LoganMozingo Junior Member

I'm also a newbie here been plowing for about 4 years but Finally bought my own rig and have about 20 residential contracts lined up for this year. ONE of the best decisions I have made though is going to school Diesel Mechanic by trade and it has helped me to save alot of money so far

16. Have to agree with those who advised ya to get some further education of some type...doesnt have to be an academic, there are trade schools etc. Trust me owning your own business has many benefits but I sometimes look at my friends who now have 15+ years with the state or a major corp and am very envious of the swweet retirement packages they are gonna have. Can also tell you from experience that going to college right after highschool was alot easier on me then when I made an attempt to go back for an MBA at 31. Remember you will still have the summers for lawncare work so you can keep that going and keep a customer base.

17. 06dmax

06dmax Member

Doe anyone have some colleges or schools that have landscape design classes, so i can look into them?

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I have no idea what I went to college for but it was awesome - Plymouth State College in Plymouth New Hampshire (Its now Plymouth State University).

19. 06dmax

06dmax Member

thats the way college usually goes

20. PPS. inc

PPS. inc Member
    from Earth

MSU has a grt turf and landscaping program.... Michigan State.....Out of state tuition is about $30,000 a yr... Might need a few more drives.....