1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey guys...those per push contracts will make

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by almostbk1stday, Jan 19, 2006.

1. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

you rich next year. Isn't always the way when you have a mild winter and/or summer the next one does the exact opposite?

This year I put a mix of both per push and seasonal. I "almost" felt guilty for charging for January but reality set in. It didnt snow...well, I plowed twice cuz I was bored and salted three times but really, nothing major. Then I thought, I couldnt ask for more money if it snows for 31 days straight so, I am the winner.

Next year......if I decide to stick with plowing, its gonna be on a per push basis -OR- Im gonna charge my regular $300 plus tax for a maximum of 15 pushes. I will 100% refuse any customers who do not agree with it.

Already three (yes 3!) lowballers went out of business in my area and are selling their stuff off cheap. I picked up 5 per plow customers yesterday from one of them and after speaking with two of the customers, managed to get an addtional $50 from them. I dont mean to ramble but how the ==*k does someone expect to make a living off $10 pushes????????????????????
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Yes quit:D , more for me(of course that would only be if you were here)-- just kidding. Thats cool about the lowballers going out of business.

BRAAAP Senior Member

I wouldn't start the truck for 10 a push!!!:gunsfiring: lowballers
  4. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I've got a couple residentials that I do for $10 dollars a push.
  5. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I won't drop a plow for any less than twenty five dollars. I would rather :sleeping:
  6. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

If your providing a service, how are you gonna tax your customers? It should be on set rate.
  7. ECS

ECS Senior Member

$35 per push is my mininum. Next year the rate goes up again.
  8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

all of the lowballers will stay in business much longer than the big man. their $10 is like our $100. all of the lowballers are one truck businesses that have real jobs making $15 an hour. they go out and push drives for $10 and make $50 an hour using their truck that they drive every day to work, get groceries, or whatever. why would they ever go broke? there getting straight cash money, getting rich. i'm speaking of my geographic location doesn't apply to all.
  9. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

I actually LIKE the lowballers. They get rid of those pesky cheap ass customers that complain about E V E R Y T H I N G and want everything for nothin'.
  10. rembrandt100

rembrandt100 Member

He, like I am live in Canada. We have a tax called the GST. It is a 7 % tax that we collect for the government. If a clients rate is $100.00 per month his invoice reads $100.00 plus 7%, total 107.00. After we collect that we deduct the gst tax that we paid on our purchases and send in the balance.

To make it real simple, you collected $500 in gst taxes doing your work. You paid $200 in gst tax to buy gas, salt, tools, repairs, and any other expences you had to do you work. You pay the gov. $300.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not necessarily. This is the fourth winter in a row with below average snowfall for this area.
  12. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

i've got one customer that was 17 a push last year. i raised him to 22 this year.
    he is the only full time resident in a subdivision of 9 other houses (cabins??), where my average is 32 a push, and i don't have to get them done until 9:00pm the following night after a storm.

everyone else is 25 to drop the bucket.

hourly, on a 6 inch dry dump like today, i''m something north of 140 an hour, but everyone is on a per push charge.
  13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I won't drop the plow for anything less than $25 per plowing.
  14. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'll drop my plow for $10 if i have the extra time and if i'm still awake.....you gotta hustle.
  15. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I'll drop my plow for $10 also, but it's gonna cost another $25 for me to actually plow snow with it.
  16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

All these 25 or whatever "I wont drop my plow" must mean if you are already out working or something. I am not going to get dressed and ready gas up the truck and load salt unless there is at least 3 hours work to do.

I don't do res. and am glad for it but if you are out and depending on the job would you not price accordingly? If it takes 5 or 10 mins then what is wrong with 10 or 20 bucks? You should still be averaging your set rate should'nt you. Or do you charge a guy with 15 feet of 12 foot wide drive th same as a guy with 24' wide and 50' long?

I have always gone by the hour and as long as I am making that it don't matter to me if I am plowing a short drive or working a massive lot. I guess if I were do'ing drives I would base my price on how long it would take me not some set min. drop blade charge you have in your head. Hopefully you are doing more then one drive a night and can maintain a hourly average that works best for you and the customer.
  17. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

I for one retract what I said about the $10 thingy. My neigbor yesterday asked me to do his drive and guess what I charged.............$10. Took all of 3 minutes to do cuz I pull the snow out on the street and lift the plow 3 inches off the ground and slam the gas to spread it. Its not totally legal but its a grey area that Im willing to venture into cuz it saves so much time.
  18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Oh? Maybe different in Canada, I always figured it was either legal or not legal. Where did you spread it?
  19. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We have also had a mild winter this year...but 4 out of our last 5 have been in the top 10 all time snowiest winters.So in the fall the contracts will be slow coming in right up to the time we get the first big snow.

If they want to go by the push then thats fine,but they will end up paying more in the long run...and I will not feel guilty about taking it.
  20. rembrandt100

rembrandt100 Member

Re: plowing snow on to the road.

There is no grey area about it at all. IF you get caught putting snow on the road and leaving it there it IS a finable offence. If I remember correctly it is about $500.00. If you put it on the road while cleaning the drive, then move it onto the lawn you are ok. But you are not allowed to leave it on the road.