1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Guys I would like to buy a plow please help !!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by HDROCK, Nov 23, 2003.

1. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

I have a 2500HD 4X4 and I was wanting to get a plow for my truck could you all please help me on what I need. I dont plan on doing many jobs for money but, I have alot of family in town who are ederly and its just to many to shovel. I live in WV and we do get a decent amount of snow. I was thinking about maybe a 7.5 since I will be doing smaller driveways and just to have a smaller one cause Iam new to the plow scene. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I suppose with everything else I would be better off to buy a good used plow then to lay down the money for the new one since I wont be using it very often. Also I would like one that I could disconnect fairly easily I dont want to run around with the plow on my truck all winter.

Thanks Guys :waving:

Also there is a post right now in the equipment forsale section of this site for a blade for my truck for $425 is this a good deal? How much does everything else that I will need cost?

Like I say fellows I know nothing and your help will be greatly apprecited

2. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

He come on guys 24 of you have looked at it but, still no replys:(
    Dont be afraid to hop right in and make a suggestion.

3. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

yes a 7.5 is good get a waestern or fischer if you want good stuff get a fischer or western if you want just ok get a meyers its also lighter but it wikk work thats what i have its your choice good luck

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'd get an 8.2' Boss V Plow if you want good. Western makes great plows also. Wouldn't ever buy a Meyer. Just my opinion.:waving:

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Goto your local dealer,don't be to concerned with brands at this point,if you've been here for 10 minutes you know the big ones,Fisher,Western,Meyer,Boss,Blizzard and spend the money now on a new set up,probably in the 8' department,by the time you piece a used one together and get the bugs worked out you will be farther ahead to have just bought a new one,it will be a worthwhile investment especially seeing the light use that it will,it should last you for many years and many trucks.

6. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I have the same requirements... I plow my driveway and the driveways of some relatives & friends. Thus, I don't get commercial plowing insurance ($500-600 from my agent) so I CANNOT ACCEPT ANY PAYMENT for the plowing I do on others' properties.

Now that I've said that, I have a 7½ foot wide Western Ultra-Mount plow. I had a Western on my last truck, and liked it. I don't believe that Western plows are all that bad. They're not top of the line, nor are they bargains, either.

I think the 7½ foot wide plow is best for someone not doing too much plowing. An 8 foot plow might be inconvenient for driving to/from the various driveways you do. I know that on the narrow roads around my little town that even the 7½ foot wide plow needs a little bit of attention so you don't start creaming mailboxes that are too close to the road ("Honest, ossifer, I didn't hit those mailboxes, even if they do have red paint on them").

Also, the Western Ultra-Mount is a nice system as it's really easy to install and remove. On my old truck, once we had the plow on for the Winter it stayed on all Winter. With this new one I can take the plow off and quickly install it when it's needed. Plus too and also, with the new Western plow, when I remove the plow, the whole plow package comes off, essentially, On my old Western plow, the hydraulic unit and the headlighst were permanently mounted to the truck. I know this "all off" plow system has been around for a while, but those of us who've been using older versions of these plows get excited with these innovations.

I bought a urethane plow edge from someone here in this forum. I had a rubber edge on my old plow and liked that. I can't wait to try out this new urethane edge. These rubber or urethane plow edges allow you to plow quieter, which means you don't necessairly wake people up in the morning when you plow their driveway. I also greatly slowed down the rate of drop for the plow (very easy on the new one, just an adjustment screw on top of the hydraulic unit). Now the plow doesn't make a loud "bang" when I drop it. As I don't do commercial plowing, I'm not interested in speed when I plow.

Finally, don't forget to get a blinking yellow caution light for on top of your truck. You can get a fairly inexpensive one on many of the web sites menetioned in this forum. Some are under $20 (revolving "Kojak" light). In my area, by law, you have to have a blinking yellow caution light when plowing even residential driveways. Someone I know got hit when he was plowing and got a ticket for not having a blinking caution light, plus got charged with fault in the accident. They have them with magnetic mounts, so you can put it on and take it off fast.

That's just my 2½¢.

7. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

I appreciate everyone replys. So would it be the overall opinion of the group that I just purchase a new plow instead of a good used one? Also Big Red Barn I did not realize about the insurance issue you were speaking of. So is this a State Law in NY? Down here in WV I would almost be 95% sure most guys who plow dont have any special insurance rider. Heck it would probably be a hoot to see how many did not even have insurance on the trucks that the plows are on. It seems alot of people have beater trucks they bring out when we get storms most dont even have inspection stickers... LOL Anyway thanks for everyone reply and keep them coming.

I really dont want to hit any mailboxes would i be better off with a 7 foot plow? I realize most of you who do this for a living think Iam crazy and that I should just pay one of you to do it, but it just looks like to much fun to miss out on:bluebounc

8. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Based on my discussions with both my corrent and former car-insurance agent, commercial plow insurance is needed in New york state if you accept payment for plowing. My current agent did say in slight jest that accepting a gift certificate for Red Lobster wouldn't be a problem.

I believe that the 7½ foot wide plows are pretty much standard. Check out the various plow-manufacturers' web sites to be sure.

Sure, a used plow is a possibility, especially for non-commercial plowing, and for installation on a used truck (I assume it's used, but likely fairly new, no?).

But, I'd really have some heartburn over trying to find a used plow that's not beat to snot by a former owner who may have used it for commercial plowing. Let's face it, commercial plowers are interested in doing the job fast and getting to the next job. They don't necessairly worry about being kind to their equipment as their time is incredibly valuable as customers are calling 10 minutes after it snows wondering why their driveway isn't plowed yet.

With a used plow, you can do a tear-down on the hydraulic unit and replace wear parts (brushes, etc.). You can replace hydraulic hoses and other parts. You can have the plow itself worked on (I had my old one welded where it was damaged, then I had it sandblasted and repainted). Maybe someone out there does do that to the used plows they sell ("Used Snowplows R Us"?).

It's all a matter of what you have to spend, and what you can do yourself repair-wise and such. If you do go with a used plow, it might be nice to have some repair parts on hand just in case. I know Western has kits available. As an absolute minimum, spare hydraulic oil is a must as not having any can leave you without being able to raise the plow (yes?) and then you couldn't drive the truck unless you removed the plow unit and left it where you broke down.

Again, just my 2¢. There are others on this site with much, much more knowledge and experience than me. Maybe they can chime in a used plows.

9. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Well first off i would like to say on the insurance thing all plowers should have GL ins to protect themselves from lawsuits arriseing from slip/fall accidents it may not be inportant if your just doing family but if your doing commercial and or residential and getting payed for it if your smart you'll have it because if you dont all it takes one person to slip/fall on somewhere you plowed and sue you w/o you having the insurance to handle the claim the money they sue you for will have to come from your pocket. one lawsuit like that and your basicly financially ruineduntil/unless you are able to pony up the money they were awarded. with that all said and done asfar as plows go on that 2500HD i would go with an 8' strait blade or an 8'2" V blade. thats a decient sized truck 7' would be too short for it.you could run a 7.5' but you'd probaly be happier with the 8' asfar as transporting the blade between pushes i dont see any problems carring the 8' blade thats what i run most all traffic areas that are big enough to travel through with your truck are going to be big enough for you to get through with the blade and if your traveling with the blade fully angled (although you dont have to) an 8' blade would only cover 7.5' of space due to the angle taking up the extra 6" of the blade. asfar as plow choices i would go with either a Boss Western or fisher... personally i prefer Boss plows.

10. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

I appreciate everyones help !!!!:waving: I'm going to call my dealer and price some new plows. The used plows that I was speaking of were generally like the ones on ebay that have been used 4 times and they are 2 years old. I dont really want to buy any junk and I can afford to buy a new one I just figured since I was not going to be plowing commercially that I would never use of even a new plow. But I hate my equipment breaking down so maybe I should get a new one...

I have another dumb question guys... I have seen some plows that go into V's are V plows good for residential driveways ? Are V plows more expensive.

Thanks for everyones help :)

11. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

I just noticed that I got tung twisted in the last part.. I was trying to say that I figured since I was not plowing commercially that I would never even use up a good used plow, much less need a new one...but it might not be a bad idea. So do new ones come with warrantys?

12. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

I think the word I was looking for was tongue..... Now I know what the spell checker and preview post are for :p

13. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

HDROCK,

Welcome to plowsite!!
    from another West Virginian... :waving:

Im in Morgantown... where you from ?

Man i wish it would SNOW !!!!

14. Adams plowing

hdrock v-plows are more expencive than strait blades they would work good for drives but with the small ammount you are gonna do it might not be cost effective for you you might be better to just go with a strait blade. oh and those plows that they say have only been used 2 or 3 times have generally been used more... some truley have been used only a few times but the majority have been used more they just say they were used less to make them sound more attractive. and new plows generally come with warrentys.

15. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

Vector 6,

I'm down here in Beckley praying for snow as well.. Last year I think by this time we had already had a couple of small snows. Lets hope Dec. will be more eventful.. Then some of you guys will be piling up the money payup

Thanks for the welcome

16. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

Alright I called the Western dealer and they confused me :( The guy told me to get on the western website and check out some of the plows so here is what I found. They offer several different plows Pro Plow, Poly Prow Plow,Standard Plow,Poly Standard Plow. So what exactly is the Poly? From the website it basically just said that the snow rolled off of it better and that it was a maintenance free blade. Will I need a ploy..

Not to offend anyone I have not totally decided on a Western Plow it was just the one I found the fastest in the phone book. It seems some of you are as loyal to plow manufactures as we are to our CHEVY TRUCKS !!!!

Which plow do I want the? The Standard one is the cheapest

17. Adams plowing

the Pro plow is the comercial plow their made stronger than the standard plow hteir designed to be worked harder and more than the standard plows so it just depends on what you want i personally would go with a commercial quality plow if i were you especially if this might eventually turn into a small biz for you at some point or if you are in an area that gets lots of snow and you have a lot of people to plow for but i have always been one to prefer getting something that was made for heavy duty use this way it should stand up to quite a bit of use also a good heavy duty plow should last you quite a few years with minor maintnence. asfar as the poly plow vs steel blade. the polys the moldbord wont rust or need painting because it is not made of metal where as a steel blade after it gets scratched up a bit may need some paint to keep it from rusting bad. both poly and steel have their advantages but its pretty much just personal preferance. if you wanted to save money somewhere i would go with the steel and save the money there... theres nothing wrong with a steel blade they get the job done and are easilsy able to be repaired with a welder if something does happen to them where as if a poly gets broken there isnt a cheap fast way to fix them quick...

18. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

Hey guys I have been studying this plow thing quite a bit. Have any of you ever used one of these pull behind plows. These just go into the trailer hitch receiver and you drag them behind. I'm going to leave a link down here at the botttom take a look and tell me what you think. I guess the good part would be if I ever got rid of my 2500HD it would work on like a Tahoe or Suburban. Its says that some contractors now use both a front and rear. Here is the link www.snowmanplows.com

Thanks you all have been a Big Help :D

19. Adams plowing

some plowers do use them and they work well for their purpose but they dont have the stacking ability that you have with a front blade and really only work real well in conjunction to a regular blade because once you move the snow you have to be able to put it somewhere thats where the stacking ability of a normal blade comes into play...

20. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

Chevy makes a Truck?:drinkup: